Hahahaha fate...

tufty

Retro Guru
So, last week I bought a pair of XT 756 disc hubs on here, as part of my Sunn Urge 999 disc conversion project. The plan was to lace them to a pair of XC717 rims (which I haven't yet managed to put my hands on, but have a tacit agreement to buy).

So, yesterday I headed down to my LBS, who does me a "mates rate" on spokes, to see if he has enough DT Comps in the required length. He doesn't, but we get chatting about exactly why I need 64 spokes, and what size discs I'm planning on running, and he says something along the lines of

"As it happens, I have a set of 26" wheels that a customer wants to sell - rims, hubs, spokes and discs, 30 euros the lot, and the discs are the size you want to run"

"Oh yes?", say I. "Let's have a look". So he pulls out a set of pretty much mint 223 rims laced to Formula hubs, with the requisite 160/140 discs. Pulled off a Giant, would be my guess, from the QRs. All very lovely and retro looking, straight into the back of the car...

And, of course, when I got home, waiting in the letterbox, 2 XT hubs.

…and 2 hours after posting that…

So, I said to myself. "How about some tubeless?"

Cleaned and taped the rims, cleaned and presealed a pair of Saguaros, recovered a pair of valves from some dead road tubes, shoved it all together, banged in some air, and they sealed straight off, modulo the usual slightly leaky sidewalls

… except …

both sodding rims have hairline cracks at the welds.

Fucksticks.

cce":gps6gfqc said:
Mavic 223s are pinned, not welded.
Oh, durrr.

My stupid. You're right, I even knew that, having looked at the pinned joint to see how far the "crack" went, but the implications didn't sink in. It's amazing how dim I can be once I've got an idea into my thick skull.

Back