Kona experts can you help with info on Caldera/build thread

rugbyleaguebiker

Old School Hero
Bought this caldera off Shpock as a project. Advertised at £60.
Has avid 2.0 v brakes. Rock shox Judy t2 forks, mavic x138 front wheel, sugino cranks, xt rear mech and St. rc front mech, was hoping from the ad it would be late 90's and from the 98 catalogue would be one hell of a bike for the £50 I agreed to pay. But it says 7005 aluminium on it and made in taiwan. So can anyone give it a date and some more info?

Re:

That thread is ace, some great history there. I'm not sure this is a kona at all, never mind some one off rarity. it has a Ken fosters cycles sticker on it definitely says 7005 aluminium. A magnet sticks to it suggesting it's not aluminium and the serial number reads across the bottom bracket shell
H83 8778
Who knows what it is

Re: Kona experts can you help with info on Caldera??

It doesn't look like an aluminium frame to me in that (not very good) photo.
In fact, it looks fairly similar to a Kona frame, but I am not a Kona aficionado. Most of them posted in Als thread. Fire up some better photos and hopefully a Kona fan will be along soon. ;-)

Frame and fork match the 98 Caldera. Would suggest someone has added the 7005 sticker later.

Yeah, '98 Caldera :)

Mark

Re: Re:

rugbyleaguebiker":3dt8cbz7 said:
al-onestare":3dt8cbz7 said:
Yep 98 double butted chromoly Caldera. Pretty run of the mill but it'll do the job.

Would a 98 bike have Xt m73x rear mech, what I can find puts that mech early 90's?

The mechs can be changed, but the frame will always remain a '98 Caldera ;)

Mark

Back