Cannondale fatty headshok experts

scooter

Retro Guru
Hi all , I've acquired this cannondale frame and fork which I'm hoping to restore, but this is depending on if I can sort the forks out.
So here's the frame & fork

and here's the forks stripped down with all the parts

So what's happened is that the needle bearings that run up inside the fork , well at least one strip and maybe two has slipped out of the bottom and as you can see in the above picture one set has broke.
So this strip will obviously need replacing ( I may have to buy a complete set?)
But the next problem which in my opinion has caused the bearing to partly slide out is this threaded collar which screws onto the outer headtube, it has become worn and misshaped thus allowing the bearing to pop out of the bottom.
Here's the collar

As you can see it's now misshaped and has some burring etc.
So this is what I'm not quite sure about - what shape should this damaged part actually be? Should it be perfectly round or should it have four flat edges which would follow the contour of the inner head tube , (I'm thinking that it should follow the contour) but if this is the case then it obviously wouldn't be able to be unscrewed as the flat edges would stop it turning.
So what I'm thinking is that the shape of the collar should have the four flats but with a slight gap so that it can still be unscrewed without fouling on the inner tube, and also would still keep the bearing strips up inside.

If anyone has some knowledge on this then I'd be great full for your input ,
Or if any has a similar fork with this collar then a picture would be dead handy ,
You can see this collar by just pulling down the rubber boot that covers it and you should be able to get a peek to see how tight a fit it is around the inner head tube

Also I'm not exactly sure which model / year this frame and fork is?
If anyone can help I'd it then that would be a great help.
All I know is the the forks have a 45mm green spring inside , it has the air valve underneath the fork and the lock out twist cap on the top.

And if anyone knows where I could source this damaged collar then that would be amazing I can proceed forward, failing this then it could be a bit of fettling with some sort of make shift washer type sleeve like this-
It's a 10 speed cassette spacer which is almost a perfect fit

Thanks guys , I hope someone can help out because I love this f&f and it would be a real shame to scrap it due these akward parts .
Cheers scott.

Oh , just another shot of the collar on the inner head tube

Back