9 speed chain advice....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
My 'special' chain I've been saving for the budget build doesn't say much on it other that KMC Z 'narrow'.

Is it going to work on a 1x9 set up, or do I need another chain....... :facepalm:

Re:

Morning :LOL:

Yes, I saw these, but I suppose what I'm getting at is, will they work with a 9 speed set up or do 9 speed chains have to be even 'narrower' than 'narrow'....?

It shouldn't but it probably will! That said if you haven't already bought it i seem to remember someone was selling 9 speed chains for cheap recently- possibly Halfords?

Re:

Ah yes, just looked and they do have some good deals! Thanks for the tip off.

Of course, I had all the bits I needed to do this on the cheap until recently when I sold it all off for peanuts.... :facepalm:

As you do.

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":2afp5c9d said:
Ah yes, just looked and they do have some good deals! Thanks for the tip off.

Of course, I had all the bits I needed to do this on the cheap until recently when I sold it all off for peanuts.... :facepalm:

As you do.

Conversely I now have so many parts that didn't sell I keep looking out for new frames I don't need!

Re:

Thanks both, will have a proper look later, now off to work....starting to think I'd be better off buying a new bike :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

Just to add my 2p's worth, the KMC chain you've kept for your build is excellent - I've been using them on a 6 speed for ages. It is 7.1mm wide and dedicated 9 speed chains are 6.6mm wide.
I'd be inclined to go for a 9 speed specific chain..... and I think I need to get out more :facepalm:

Re: Re:

michael franks":3nynay49 said:
Just to add my 2p's worth, the KMC chain you've kept for your build is excellent - I've been using them on a 6 speed for ages. It is 7.1mm wide and dedicated 9 speed chains are 6.6mm wide.
I'd be inclined to go for a 9 speed specific chain..... and I think I need to get out more :facepalm:

^^ what he said, 9 speed specific.

Back