Juicy 3 leakage, possible issues?

KDM

Senior Retro Guru
2007 bike with juicy 3's on, front works fine but the fluid either needs bleeding or is the original so could do with a flush and new, it just feels tired.

The rear brake lever however is going almost back to the bar and seems to be leaking. I noticed that there also seems to be a slight weep around the reservoir cap. Tightened gently but firmly the cap screws but still a weep around the seem so it's going into the shop next week as I suspect it's probably a split or tired diaphragm.

I assume all it needs is new fluid and a new diaphragm but are there any other reasons for the 3's to leak around the reservoir, also when people have used new fluid have you changed to dot to a higher one?

Sorry to ask as this is my first hydraulic braked bike.

TBH, the main reason for Juicys to leak is the fact that they are juicys.

Get the shop to have a quick look, and unless its a quick fix (less than an hours labour) you'll probably be best off upgrading to any shimano.

Once Juicys start to go wrong, they are a money pit. I've got a colleague who sunk about £150 into repairing a top end set that cost him £300+ in the first place (Ultimate i think). And they still didn't work properly.

If it is a quick fix, stick with the stock oil. It's less mucking about all round.

Oh, FWIW i've had two or three bikes come with Juicys (brand new) sticking them on eBay and getting as much as i can for them towards something that works has always worked well!

Thanks for the reply

I'll do as you suggest and probably have it bled through, it's only £15 and if it still is an issue, I've got my eye on some XT m8000 replacements

Have juicy 3 on my trek with the weepy reservoir thing. Only did it when cold. It was never more than a weep so just left it. When I bled and put fresh oil through I didn't need to touch the reservoir caps and thinking about it I think the weeping stopped too.

As above, they are cheap enough but if they work then why change?

Re:

My Juicy 3s leak around the reservoir seal too. It's not a lot or constant, but it is annoying.

I might treat myself to a set of Shimano Deore or SLX at some point, I've not seen many complaints about them.

RickTheUncivil":hdyrf7t8 said:
As above, they are cheap enough but if they work then why change?

Which if the new fluid and bleed through works then that's what I'll do, let it be. However if it continues then it would be rude not to look to buy stuff from the bay of evil :D

Back