Protecting carbon cranks?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
The 29er i built recently sports some lovely and light FSA carbon cranks. Before i use it in anger, i want to try and protect them from the usual heel rub etc. I've got some crank boots fitted, but what's best for the rest of the arms? I'm assuming heli tape, but with so many different options, what's best for this purpose? Are there alternative options considered better?

Cheers

Yes, heli tape. You can buy ready cut to size, e.g. ebay search sram chainset, lowest price first, should fit any crank, else buy tape that is of sufficient width and cut to size. Make paper template to avoid making mistakes.

Of course you can buy narrower tape but then need two or more strips, or can use insulation tape if you dont care about appearance.

To reduce rubbing, pozition cleats as far in as theyll go, i do that on my shoes.

Re:

Cheers, I've never suffered from the shoe rub myself, just belt and braces as the cranks were very expensive so just want to do what i can to protect them.

Re:

I've been using the clear Gorilla tape on my cranks for quite a while, seems okay. Not a thick as helitape but more flexible and really sticky.

Back