Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Evening all.

Will a Deore 7 thumbie travel enough to move a 9 or 8 mech/cassette? Obviously no indexing.

Considering my options for my ratty retro overburys build.

Thanks thm

Mind how you go.

10 is the same width as nine. Problem is the cogs are very close and over/under shifting will be commonplace unless you are very accurate.

Re:

I've been running XT thumbies on most of my bikes, everything from 7-11spd cassettes

Use a 9spd rear mech, 10spd chain, friction mode an the world is your oyster :)

In fact the more cogs in there the more accurate the shift, I love it, up and down the block with one simple movement

Re:

the cassette body is the same width for 8s and above, so teh cassette width has to be the same, friction mode should cover everything. but is it really worth giving up indexing for an extra couple of ratios? i dont think i could even find teh extra cogs without indexing :)

Re:

Procrates":1zfoe34l said:
What about these

https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/shimanothumbies/

You convert TT barend shifters to thumbies

Having owned a set of modern thumbies, I can tell you that there is a huge difference in pull ratio between road and MTB thumbies/mechs. Those bar-end thumbies are meant for road mechs. Put them on an MTB mech and you'll struggle to cover 3/4 of the cassette, never mind that the indexing will be off completely.
For a road bike it's a good solution, for an MTB less so.

Re: Re:

catf":34m3zrcx said:
the cassette body is the same width for 8s and above, so teh cassette width has to be the same, friction mode should cover everything. but is it really worth giving up indexing for an extra couple of ratios? i dont think i could even find teh extra cogs without indexing :)

I have a lot of 9 speed doing nothing. Went all Deore 3x9 and flat bar in the end. Thanks for all the advice though.

Back