What headset do I need or would best suit this setup.

mattrixdesign2

Retro Guru
Hi

Bought a steel frame and a separate steel fork.

Straight 1 1/8 (not tapered), so that simplifies things, but still confused by the types (integrated, semi integrated, etc).

I am guessing I need 'conventional'? Really not sure.

Furthermore does it require any sort of press for installing or can these be dropped in place?

This is the frame with some specs and what looks to be an external type headset

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-plug-5-2015/

Re:

Looks like the origin headset according to another spec was

FSA TH-857

...Caged bearings, is this sort of headset any good or should I be looking for something better?

Re:

I know a chap with the steel model, he says it uses a conventional, external headset. These cups should be pressed in.

I'd buy a decent sealed bearing such as FSA Orbit MX.

SP

Re:

As I expected. Got a sealed Chain Reaction own brand one lined up.

Slight concern over getting them pressed in place - as I don't have the correct tooling - but I do have a rubber mallet :shock:

With care and experience you can tap them in with a block of wood/mallet.
Get it wrong and at best you'll knacker the headset, at worst you'll damage the headtube.
If you have a large vise, g-clamp or furniture clamp these can be pressed into service. Or 10-15 quid at an LBS.

You'll also need to press/tap the crown race on. I've got lengths of tube to do 1" and 1 1/8".
LBS could do this as well.

Re:

Grease on no grease, for crown and for cups?

Done a crown before it was a split type and used a blunt screw driver, but I understand some PVC pipe would be a cheap and safer option!

Ill have a go at the cups with a mallet. What is the best way to secure the frame, I guess with the other side of the tube placed on some wood?

Re:

Before doing it yourself, just have a think if saving £10-£15 is a price worth paying if you get it wrong. You might even find an decent LBS could do the job while you wait and this saving you the hassle of fitting it yourself.

The other thing is you might find it hard to hold the frame steady whilst hitting the timber as everything needs to be held straight and level to ensure the headset goes in properly.

I would use just a smear of grease to help prevent any chemical reaction between the frame and the headset metals as I suspect they will be different.

Good luck with whatever route you take.

Re:

For fitting the headset it depends.
If you're willing to get involved with the building of the bike, get yourself a fit headset press (eBay have them).
Otherwise, if you just want the bike built quickly, get the fiddly bits done at your lbs and do the rest yourself.

Home made headset press easily made from a length of threaded rod, a couple of nuts and some big washers.

Back