Shimano Parallax hubs

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi All
Can anyone tell me what the difference is barring the name between a XT parallax and a STX parallax hub they both look the same the XT is polished a bit more.

Thanks

Depends on the year.
Later XT had stainless ball bearings and Borozon hardened races, later ones (M760 on IIRC) had an aluminium axle and smaller bearings. Seals were common and identical. In particular the latest ones (M780) had a drastically thinned freehub body that has a reputation for failure below 1000 miles (it splits and bursts!) There is a redesign which Shimano introduced.

STX is actually the tougher hub with more durable bearings compared to the later XT. Touring bike builders have learned to avoid any Shimano hub with an aluminium axle.

It's sad that Shimano hubs now seem weaker and worse than 20 years ago. M737 silver label were about the best hubs they ever made. STX is essentially identical bar the polished finish. I run a set of STX-SE on the tandem, they are 18 years and still smooth. Regular annual greasing and a decent seal design means they go on almost forever.

Ok, gotcha, so the sides of the hub between the flanges are parallel instead of being waisted, i.e. narrow hub but flared out for the bearings at the flanges.

Good info I recently picked up a set of M737 laced to mavic 217s sounds like I got a good set :D

If you have the front hub with the silver label you have lucked out completely. If it's the gold label one thne the bearings are still big but the hub cones IIRC are not available as spares so keep them well greased. If the cones do go you can transplant Deore axle and cones.

hamster":1x7727fk said:
Depends on the year.
Later XT had stainless ball bearings and Borozon hardened races, later ones (M760 on IIRC) had an aluminium axle and smaller bearings. Seals were common and identical. In particular the latest ones (M780) had a drastically thinned freehub body that has a reputation for failure below 1000 miles (it splits and bursts!) There is a redesign which Shimano introduced.

STX is actually the tougher hub with more durable bearings compared to the later XT. Touring bike builders have learned to avoid any Shimano hub with an aluminium axle.

M760 still had steel axles and the larger bearings. It was M770 where alu axles etc. were introduced.

Back