talk to me about fork oil

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Some questions about fork oil (I have mainly Fox and Rockshox suspension forks)
1. Does the fork oil need to be manufacturer specific or can some generic i.e. cheaper oil for motorcycle forks be used?
2. I assume that mixing different weight of the same oil will average out the weight e.g. equal quantities of 15 WT and 5 WT will give 10 WT?
3. Can different brands of fork oil be mixed?

Re:

I always use motorcycle fork oil. Also made up some 10w, by mixing equal quantities of 15 and 5.

Re:

I have serviced my own Rockshox Rebas a few times using the recommended oil...the red stuff! When you can get a full kit of seals and oil for around £40 I just go with that. Replace them once a year and then forget....and thats with around 4000 between services. I have had Fox forks but they require too much maintainence for my liking!

Doug

Re: Fork oil

Fork oil does not have to be the same brand, I have been servicing using motorcycle oils for years. No problems.
FOX & Marzzochi made motorcycle forks first & then developed them for moutain bikes so they use rebranded motorcycle oil.
Its just a branding ploy to get you to spend more, motorcycle oil is cheaper. Get it from a motorcross dealer, Silcolene & Motul are good brands and you get more for your buck.
Mixing wt is ok, 15+5 in equal qty = 10.
Good luck.

Mark.

Back