Hope v2/4 or Magura mt6?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've nearly decided on the parts for my 29er build, just the brakes to finalise. Which brakes would those who know about modern disc brakes choose from the two and why?

Aesthetically from a colour perspective, the Magura brakes are slightly ahead, but performance wise I've no clue which is better, and also which is more reliable and easy to look after. I've got hopes on a couple of other builds, so should I stick with what I know or be different and go with Magura?

I've got both sets of brakes so not looking for other options unless it's worth considering some formula the one brakes which I've also got spare at the moment.

Cheers

No one got an opinion on which brakes are better? The maxle for the forks arrived today so looking to try and build it up next week.

Ideally I'd like to use the hope brakes but with them being shiny silver with braided silver hose, they don't go with the rest of the build look wise. Should I just ignore this and go with hope, or throw caution to the wind and try Magura or formula?

Re:

The questions I've always asked myself is:

Which ones will hold more value if I ever come to sell them in the future, and which ones can I still get spares for if I ever need them.

Kind Regards

I love the Hopes, but can't compare like for like as I don't have the Maguras.

The Hopes are great stoppers, and I find them super sensitive and adjustable.

I think they look pretty cool too!

A 4 pot Hope is aleways going to be better at stopping than a 2 pot magura, or anyone. Is power, feel etc the only consideeration or is longevity and robustness also to be a factor.
I say only as ive seen many modern Hopes suffering a severe corrosion problem. Especially to the underside, though not confined to it :?

Would carbon be a better choice. I'd go for the MAguras on that. Just to see.

Wow, a glut of feedback, many thanks.

Yesterday I serviced a hope tech brakes, and whilst I was learning as I went, it was pretty easy, as is bleeding them so that's a plus point for the hope brakes. Another plus is that parts are easy to get and hope customer service is excellent in my experience, even when just asking for information (something other companies aren't very good at, especially when they hide behind dealers to supply it).

For these reasons alone, hope would be my choice, I just wish they were black.

That said, I've heard Magura customer service is good, plus they have been making hydraulic brakes far longer than most, plus they brakes suit the build better (assuming the hoses are long enough for the 29er).

Anyone got any experience using the Magura? Are they easy to maintain, bleed, get spares for?

Re:

Didn't you already do this thread between Hope brakes??
In the end it's your choice, both the Hope and Magura are good brakes, both have good customer service and decades of experience in making hydraulic brakes/disc brakes.
Personally I'd always go for Hope, as I know I can do ways buy parts and pads etc easily.

It's possible, can't remember but id I did, not sure I got a reply and I don't think I had the maguras at that point.

Both of these are pretty much near top end so I doubt one if vastly superior.

I'm not sure 4 pot vs 2 pot would make that much of a difference - the larger pad that you would get with 4 pot would be better suited to a heavy downhill rig with huge rotors.

Factors that would swing it for me are:
- ease of bleeding (!!! v. important)
- stopping power
- weight
- reliability
- standardisation (try to keep the number of different brand and models as low as possible)
- brake fluid type (mineral oil is nicer to work with that DOT)
- cost
- colour

Cheers for the list, pretty much on a par with what I'm looking for. Some factors I can rule out:

Cost: n/a as I have them already.
Brake fluid: not too fussed, have both at present.
Weight: not too fussed, bit the maguras are lighter than hopes

Standardisation is interesting, I have hopes on 2 builds and formula on another. Magura would be a walk on the wild side.

If they are both considered higher end, then I'd hope stopping power would not be an issue.

Leaving just ease of bleeding and reliability the two unknowns for me.

Colour I think the maguras win. Hope black floating rotors win too though.

Back