The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Is there some kind of conspiracy where all these moder 10/11 speed front mechs are designed with a step behind the pivots that collects all the mud. Three of us went out the other day and it was a consistent problem despite everything else clearing. So much so that at one point I couldn't change down.

Looking at my latest FS 29er, is there a short guard to fit onto the seat tube just to protect the mech or do I make something out of an old front crud guard or similar?

Each of the bikes had the same issue.

Re:

1 x 11 is the answer.

The front mech has always been a mud magnet, i dont have a FM from 11 speed fitted to compare (i have one in garage so will take a look) but i wouldnt have thought they were any worse.

Chapeau to you for going out riding in this miserable weather, im just sitting here posting shite like this. :(

I do but not when there's grinding paste everywhere. That's what the modern shite is for. Or when I want to ride fast. Or uphill. Or downhill. Or over bumps. Or on a bike with decent brakes. Or proper sized wheels.

Enough buttons pressed? :LOL:

Just seem odd that nobody has come up with something. Other than 1x11. Looking at the FS I would have to make something to fit the suspension arm to block the tangential fling?

DSC00295_edited_zpsliexo4ll.jpg

Try and work out which bits you can remove. Quite a few of the dual activation mechs you can carve huge chunks off without any issue.

Others you can't.

Good coating of spray oil delays the inevitable.

Solution is to fit a mudguard between the seat and chain stays.

Btw is that salsa a 29 in frame with 27.5 wheels, there seems to be miles of distance betwen the tyre and seat tube.

FWIW, my 9 speed XT front mech collects the mixture of mud, snow and pine needles I'm currently riding over like nobody's business, and yes, it gets to the point of blocking downshifts.

I think it's time to regrease my shifters, too, the grease in there seems to harden with the cold and they go dead.

FWIW. Zooming in on that picture shows a couple of bits you should be able to cut off, grind smooth and repaint as they aren't being used. Will minimise the build up. And make it easier to knock the crap off.

Not a big fan of grinding bits off. Thinking I might get some plastic like the mucky nutz guards and make a short fender for between the seat and chain stays. Like a reversed mk 1 rear crud. Or see what i can make out of the old guards in the shed.

Back