Heavy Duty Geared Hardtail Needed!

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
One of my friends is around 21 stone, and he needs something like a 1x10 setup with heavy duty wheels. No, not a fat bike. Just something built like a tank.

Just wondering if there is anything off the peg anyone knows of?

Otherwise, I am going to spec up something suitable with SLX drivetrain, downhill grade wheels and other components. I am sure there may be a case for going 29er, but I remember reading sticking with 26er wheels for a fat bastard is a better idea?

Suggestions welcome.

im a fat bastard and i ride a scott scale with rc31 forks and stans 355 rims. really depends what you do with it.

tbh seems what you are describing is what ppl wouldve called a 4x bike 10 years ago (do ppl still do 4x?) my first thought was santacruz chameleon, but looks like they made them a bit generic these days, 650b wheels and a front mech :(
http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/model/chameleon

Re:

Cube SUV hybrid Pro, it is an ebike and it is heavy but your friend will be able to build strength and stamina and possibly shed a few pounds whilst keeping up with the rest of you. Nothing like being at the back to kill your motivation especially if you feel disadvantaged from the start, like when your friends call you a "Fat bastard".

Bfe is probably a good call, or similar stout steel frame.

You dont really hear of forks bending or snapping these days but something with 34 or 36 stanchions should be fine. Or a set of of the old Marz dirt jumpers with the steel legs.

Back