The Jones Plus build

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Box of XT components arrived yesterday, I've stepped 25yrs ahead of nearly every piece of XT I own or have fitted to my bikes.
Went for XT M8000, good deal at Ribble and despite a couple of head shakes from another mtb'er I opted for the triple chain set ( I am just incapable of giving up on them) and boy it all looks gorgeous.
I'm wishing I had picked up XT rotors but have to make do with what's on shelves.
Frameset arrives tomorrow, including wheels Hop front hub, XT rear on 35mm rims, 70mm Thomson stem & Jones loop bar.
A few parts from my wholesalers arrive too including 29ertyres.

Cane Creek headset already pressed in and it seems I just spin the bb bearing in, no faff.

Brooks Conquest unshelved and will be getting some lovely leather oil and fitted.

All in all I feel I've made the right choice for this my final personal bike purchase, it will be the last bike I work on before I move from Velo Cottage.

Tonight I'll watch this on loop to feed my excitement

https://youtu.be/T4rxBquR5O4

All arrived today, excitedly I open up the boxes.
Frame and forks in one box.
Wheels another.
Other bits like seatpost arrived from another firm.

It's gorgeous blue and everything else is black except the seat rails on the Conquest and bar tape which are yellow.

So empty the full XT m8000 out.
Slide the chain set together through the gently threaded bearings.
Slip the front derailleur on, fits like a glove phew.

Then I notice something..
It's a side pull and this frame is rigged for top/bottom pull only.

Bastions

I'm annoyed somewhat as in my discussions in buying this frameset this wasn't mentioned at all.

I'm now looking at buying at least another derailleur or fit a old school on..
And quick line of sight means granny ring chainline will foul tyre

I'm locking up and heading home.

Any ideas, I am thinking of asking Ribble to swap the chainset and front mech.

I'll add i have googled this and found Jones bikes manual for this frameset, something not obvious in my box because it no longer was in it

Re:

I wouldn't have thought the plus build would work,
On a triple chainset,as the krampus would not take one
Be nice to see pics when up and running.
Have a Fargo and the 29 wheels do climb so you shouldnt need more gears :D

Found a double XT M8000 11spd in BOOST
And a suitable 11spd XTR front mech.

Worth noting about M8000 & at least I have a triple and side pull on the shelf for when I tackle a issue on the Roberts ( front mech cable slowly sawing its way into the bb shell, unless someone is desperate for it!!!

Back