Alternative to drop bars that will take MTB levels&shifters

mattrixdesign2

Retro Guru
I am in the process of building up a second cross type bike using spare parts. It's a cx frame and rigid carbon forks. It's going to be 1x10 that I can make up using MTB or Road kit, it's also got discs, and I have cable pull (Road Sora level) or hydrauluc (Mtb Deore).

I don't have road levers to use on the existing drop bars, the obvious choice is to buy some, but then it got me thinking, are there any swept/moustache type bars that fit and would take MTB hydro levers and shifters, this would give better braking and arguably cheaper than a decent set of road shifters.

My understanding is that road brifters have a different clamp diameter to MTB brakes and shifters, correct?

Don't want to spend £££s bit will to give it try, the obvious alternative is to go flat bar, but wanting the various hand positions.

Re:

I was looking at them, do I need to be concerned with the bar diameter for MTB levers/shifters, are they different to road?

MTB are 22.2mm in the grip area, road are 23.8mm. Definitely they are different, and you are right to consider it!

Back