My Dumb Questions - Changing from 10sp to 11sp

StradaBianche

Dirt Disciple
My Trek Madone 5.2 2005 is on Ultegra 6600 10sp with 53/39 and 11-28

Cassette needs changing and rear derailleur is worse for wear. Also, left (front ring) brake/gear lever regularly sticks and leaves me in big ring and unable to click in and release down (despite cleaning out).

So with some Alpine climbing coming up early next year, I'm thinking I could maybe replace derailleur with a 11sp. However, am I right in thinking that this would only be possible in 6800, not 6600 or 6700? And, would I have to then change brake gear levers as well to accommodate the 11sp? Anything else to consider (other than the cassette that needs changing anyway)?

Otherwise, I could just go with a slighyl wider 10sp range and replace derailleur with medium cage 6600.

But any ideas on what might be the issue with the lever that wont' release. Have cleaned (by spraying WD40 through) and replaced cable.

Thanks,
Simon

If the wheel is of a similar age (2005) it may need a new freehub body.
11 speed road uses a ~2mm longer freehub. Depending on the wheel, you might not be able to get one.

You'll definitely need to replace shifters/rear mech and front mech at the same time.
everything up to and including 10 speed road uses the same actuation ratios. So it's pretty much all plug and play. 11 speed road has significantly changed the actuation ratios front and rear. So you need to match the new kit.

As an aside, the x800 series brakes have changed the actuation ratio (again) so you *may* need to get new calipers, depending on the current set up. (If the rim is too wide/carbon/"odd"/old or the calipers aren't shimano you might not be able to get a decent amount of leverage with a mix n match brake set up, you might be fine though.)

Re:

Hmm. Thanks Matt.

Feels like best part of a new complete more modern 11sp groupset which isn't going to be cheap or authentic.

Might just try and go for 6600 medium cage rear mech and a wider cassette.

Will then just focus on trying to fix the lever that won't consistently engage.

This sounds like road bike, mods please move to appropriate section.

If it were mtb, i would respond as ive just did that 2 days ago.

Re:

This section is Bike Chat 1998, it's for any bike that isn't considered retro. The only road bike forum is Retro Classic Road and the bike we're talking about here is fairly modern!!!

mattr":2p46j8vn said:
As an aside, the x800 series brakes have changed the actuation ratio (again) so you *may* need to get new calipers, depending on the current set up. (If the rim is too wide/carbon/"odd"/old or the calipers aren't shimano you might not be able to get a decent amount of leverage with a mix n match brake set up, you might be fine though.)

I don't have first hand experience but from what I've read I think the change was very minor and as a result not really noticeable. Brake manufacturers didn't seem to all redesign their brakes when Shimano made the change and lots of bikes are sold with 11 speed and non Shimano brakes.

Yes, like i said. If the rim is fairly "normal" and the brakes are fairly recent (and probably shimano) and well set up you'll be able to get ok/good performance.

If you're at an extreme in some feature or other, it might never work. Or if you have odd ideas on how to set brakes up.

Re: Re:

JamesM":2oomi41q said:
This section is Bike Chat 1998, it's for any bike that isn't considered retro. The only road bike forum is Retro Classic Road and the bike we're talking about here is fairly modern!!!

never noticed that - had assumed the road people had their own 1998 --> section.

still not answering :p

Do yourself a massive favour and try try try and find some NOS 6600.
I have 6600 Ultegra on my Scandium Wilier and 6800 on my Carbon Wilier.
The difference is marked, the shift quality of 6700 was awful compared with both but the quality of shift and ease of set up and reliability is better with 6600 than even the 'Improved' 6800. I blame under bar tape cable routing.
If you want to *upgrade to 6800 you will have a slick and modern drive train, but may need a new rear wheel. If you can find some very nice and tidy or NOS 6600 then I'd use that.
As an aside, the sticking shifter may be the upshift or down shift lever not fully returning to it's neutral position which will prevent the other lever working. this designed in to protect the mechanism.

Back