Out of love with a bike build

TD75

Retro Guru
Anybody find this? You collect all the parts needed for the build, but you fall out of love with it before you finish?

Attachments

• IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,007
The excitement of it has gone, especially if the chase of the parts is not there.

Get a proper Cannondale, a good old one with hard to find parts.

That looks nice to me but I know what you mean. I've a garage full of parts I've collected for builds but now that I have them I haven't really progressed them, maybe a sign? The worst one for me was a mongoose amplifier. I had the frame powder coated, new decals, sourced the parts fr frame and fork and rear shock servosing and did all thst. Fitted all the parts I'd collected but never got around to cabling the brakes. Gradually sold off the parts answering wanted ads. Wish I hadn't now but it would probably still be in the garage almost complete.

Not my cup of tea tbh but that's just me i guess as to my mind theirs way to much black and i'd of fitted a higher rise handlebar and at least a 5 degree rise stem and the spokes would of been chromed and i'd of fitted silver handledars and seat stem but like i say this is my opinion and how i would see it if it were my build so what you need to do is ask yourself why you no longer find the idea of building it exciting as i think most of us on Retro bike at some time or other have been in your situation infact i myself was a few months ago even though it was only a hack build but i've not given up on the build as i'm slowly putting it together in my mind until i can completely visualise it in a way that appeals to me ..

I originally wanted a Kona Unit 29er frame to build up. But I couldn't find any used, so I thought I give the Cannondale a go. The frame is nicely finished and looks good in the black. Currently struggling to mount the tyres on the rims and I've broken three tyre levers trying to get them on and ended up pinching the inner tube in the end.

Just have grips and a single speed kit left to get before I build it up.

I wanted a more XC riding position as it's the type of riding I enjoy. I've not ever bought an aluminum frame before as I normally prefer going with a steel frame, but the lightness of the frame should be interesting. Has full cable routing if I want to put gears on it. I had the seat post already so thats why I decided to go all black. Maybe the silver would of been a good call.

It's my first Cannondale frame, but it's just not floating my boat at present and I've not even ridden it.

Mm i see as i'd gussed after i made my comment that you were after a xc machine as for the tyres well the only thing that comes to mind is putting the tyres in hot water to expand them to make it easier getting them on but leaving one tyre in the hot water while you do the 1st so the other one don't cool down while your doing the fitting ...

The riding position should still look racey even if you fitted just a 5 degree rise stem and although i like the frame design aluminium has a habbit of feeling harsh when riding due to it being very stiff hence why carbon or very light weight steel forks are a better choice .

I'm not surprised you'd fallen out with the build due to your struggle with the tyres plus your initial wanting to build a Kona but now you have the Cannondale don't give up and just be a little more patient even if it just means stepping away for a day or so but not much longer or you'll be less likely to try to complete it ..

Re:

Good idea with the hot water, my only concern is getting them off again if I get a puncture. Feeling harsh is my concern as well, especially as the fork is aluminium as well. The plan was to get an On-One Monocoque Fork if it feels harsh.

Would still swap it for a Kona Unit 29er in a heart beat.

Can I ask why you're using tubes with rims specifically designed to be run tubeless? Might be worth thinking about going down that route...

gradeAfailure":1djnl9y7 said:
Can I ask why you're using tubes with rims specifically designed to be run tubeless? Might be worth thinking about going down that route...

Good point and well spotted gradeAfailure as i hadn't realised not being familiar with tubeless rims so what you've suggested makes perfect sense ..

@ TD75 ,
Yes the On-One Monocoque Fork would be a good choice if the aluminium one's do prove to be to harsh ..

Well who know's you just might enjoy the ride of the Cannondale more than you think so i'd give a chance 1st as it does look like it will be a pretty quick handling bike tbh ..

Re:

Nowt to do with the bike,;;but don't use levers with them rims best
To get the tyre on as much as you can then pull it on with your hands
Best way I have found, they are a pig, I have two sets of them wheels :facepalm:

Back