question about a modern frame..what travel in mm shock fork?

stingray230sx

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
ok, so I built up a 2002 GT Ruckus with modern components [2012 XT / disk brakes] but its not as fun as I thought so.....thinking of getting a modern frame for 26" and just swapping over the components, my question is on this and similar [not many choices for 26] what travel in mm shock fork should I use?, I am thinking of this frame: https://www.randombikeparts.com/product ... ht-red-new

I have a 2012 Rockshox Reba RLT at 120mm on the GT and I have the spacers to reduce it to 100mm if needed......it's 1-1/8" and this frame is ready for that size, though I an aware I can get reducers or step headset to use it on a tapered headtube as some of the frames are built, not an issue to pick up what I need.

I have emailed Battaglin Cicli Srl but have not gotten a response yet,
also posted in the 26er section of mtbr forum but so far no real answer other than pick a frame with specs, but the truth is most available 26er frames don't say much about fork travel ...I think I ran across three or four when I googled them...
also asked the frame seller but they were quick to respond with a "we don't have that info" email so, again its in the wind

Looks like an XCstyleframe, so more than likely designed around 100mm. Buy it buld it up try it with both 120 and 100 since you can change the fork. It's unikely but possible it would be 80mm or 120mm.

or you could try to find something else as NOS or 2nd hand...

Virtually all frame/bike manufacturers will produce the spec for which length fork the frame is designed for.

At that time then if a regular XC bike then 100mm would be the right ballpark, same today still. Then say 120 - 140 for a more trail orientated hardtail. And 160mm for enduro upwards.

Having said that geometry has moved to slacker angles so 120mm on a 100mm frame is no issue.

Latest posts

Back