Help ID my Kona

thepodge

Dirt Disciple
I have an old steel Kona frame that I'm trying to identify.

It was repainted and restickered before the previous owner so I'm not sure what model or year it was.

The paint is in a terrible state and I was thinking of refurbishing it but I'd like to know what it was before I start throwing money at it.

The cable routing puts it at 1999 or later but its lacking in any other distinguishing features other than the top tube cable stops.

If someone could recognise that would narrow it down a lot.

Here is the cable stop, most of the 99-2001 pics I can find are low quality but look to have a straight edge not a curving / bullet profile

stops.jpg

Proof its a Kona

dropout.jpg

kona_2.jpg

kona_1.jpg

Fair enough then.

Actually, I don't think it's a 1999 at all. Post about 1997 all the steel Konas had dropouts like these.

Lava Dome:

99-kona-lava-dome-7030_3.jpg

Caldera:

file.php

These are off a 1996 Caldera and they match the ones on your frame much more closely.

Kona-Dropouts_zpsqro5g3u3.jpg

It's also possible if it had a respray at some point that the cable stops were changed. The ones on the Mrs' 1998 Explosif don't quite look like the ones on your bike. As you say, yours are a bit rounder at the end.

Thanks for that,
I'd not considered that the respray may have been in part due to replacing the cable stops, seems an unusual / unlikely repair but not impossible.

The 96 Caldera drop outs you posted do look to match but according to the Kona brochure there was no Caldera in 96

By my reckoning these are my options. It looks like the 2000 range might be very close but its difficult without good quality pics to narrow it down:
Lava Dome - Discounted due to capped dropouts
Fire Mountain
Hahanna
Caldera - Discounted due to capped dropouts

Lava Dome
Fire Mountain - https://www.olx.ro/oferta/bicicleta-kon ... Fhya.html# Click to zoom
Hahanna - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... mId=102299

Lava Dome – Discounted due to Ritchey dropouts
Hahanna

Lava Dome
Caldera – Discounted due to HT gusset

Lava Dome
Explosif – Discounted due to Disc & Canti Mounts

Back