Welding a disc mount to a 6000 series 1998 SC Chameleon?

Max P

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I dearly love my old Chameleon, been my main ride for nine years now.

I've run an XTR V all the time but need a new rear wheel soon and would much prefer to go disc on the rear.

But...no rear disc brake possibility unless using the shonky bolt on attachment that hangs under the chain stay. Been there, tried it - blooming awful in so many ways.

So, is there anyone who can successfully and very professionally weld a disc brake mount to the 6000 series aluminium rear? The frame is pretty cosmetically challenged so not worried about paint but want the right person to do it with care and attention and not compromise the frame.

I'm in the SE.

No but I have just got one with a frame and was hoping / thinking / debating using it rather than going down the Magura route. I wasn't disbelieving you - I genuinely want to know what the issues are to avoid disappointment.

Re:

I have a Proflex V brake only , but now totally disc , the hardest part is making the jig to get the calliper in the right place , also finding a GOOD welder , i work on an industrial estate and there are a few metal fabrication companies there ,

Photo0268_zpsf3kz4rs0.jpg

the black you can see is were i did not clean the laquer off the aluminium , but a very nice job ( bad picture sorry ) and only a £10 :D :D :D :D :D

Bullpup":1xpduo88 said:
No but I have just got one with a frame and was hoping / thinking / debating using it rather than going down the Magura route. I wasn't disbelieving you - I genuinely want to know what the issues are to avoid disappointment.

It's just a shonky lumpy monstrosity that is a PITA to set up with SS, leaves the brake hanging down below with a loopy big bit of hose and did not work great IME!

Back