Which are the better disc brake....

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hope v2/v4 or formula the one?

I'm converting my sts to disc brakes and have both sets to choose from. I bought the formulas recently as they came with some matchmaker adapters for xo shifters, which I'd planned to use along with mechs.

I forgot I had the hope brakes and also have some matchmakers for them for xtr shifters.

U could go either way on brakes and gears, which would be the better combination? The xo is 10 speed clutch, the xtr 9 speed m970.

Cheers

Cheers, in my experience hopes are much easier to work on. I've run both makes in the past and not had much trouble with either, but with very limited use I'd not expect any.

Would you run xo or xtr gearing? I was contemplating going 2x10 as I pocked up a new fsa turbine with the 3 arm spider/rings but am undecided.

I must admit I've a 9 speed xo build and I keep trying to go for the dual push style gear change I've got used to on shimano equipped bikes. If I run the hopes it will be xtr.

Re:

I've not tried Formula The ONE, have used their other brakes in the past though and really liked them.
I have used Hope V2/4 though, and really liked those too.

I'd probably go with the Hope brakes to be honest, they just work, plenty powerful, and easy to work on, spares easily found too.

Re:

I've not tried the Hopes but Formula's The One are second to none for power and modulation.

ishaw":28czjems said:
Thanks. I've also got a set of hope x2s as well. Which hope brake is better?

Do you prefer salted or unsalted butter?

I think the Hope V's were aimed at DH, so the X2's may be lighter.

In the real world there's probably little difference between the 2.

Back