BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Ok so I'm a bit of a luddite and don't have much knowledge when it comes to anything remotely modern. I usually have one vaguely modern bike in the shed to fulfil general duties around the moors and coast paths of west Cornwall. My Dekerf Implant was sold and replaced with a Cove Handjob. That's on the way out and a replacement on the way; a second generation (I think) Chromag Samurai.

I'm thinking I'd like to run a single chainring for simplicity but fear that the local terrain coupled with my lack of fitness will render this a little pointless. So maybe a double is the way to go? I rarely used the big ring on the previous bikes so though now would be a good time to change. Most of my riding is fairly tame by modern standards, although the coast paths can be a little challenging and unforgiving in places.

So what things do I need to consider? I have a full complement of parts for a triple set-up so what will I need to change? Should I still consider a single ring set up as an option - as mentioned before I like the idea at least?

Any pointers welcomed and if this topic has been done to death then by all means point me in the right direct.

Thanks in advance :)

Tbh i don't understand all the gear ratio business but i'd be inclined to use a 14x32 rear cassette and a triple chainset or a 38 tooth single chainset but i have stuck with triple chainsets for years now even though i've not really used the granny ring on them very much at all but it's their should the need arise ..

Any how i'm pretty certain that one of the other more knowledgable members will inform you better putting things into proper perspective ..

Re:

If you change to a double you need nothing more than a bash ring. Many of the modern front shifters let you choose between 2 or 3 shifts too. I'd be looking at a 36 tooth cassette if going this way.

If going single you'll save a bit of weight but spend some more cash, especially if you go 11 speed, which by the sound of it you should do. For that you'll need a narrow/wide chainring, 11sp cassette with 42 tooth minimum, new chain, new shifter, etc.

I've always used triple's but have just bought a bike that's 1x11 so will report back.

@ brocklanders023 ,

Since when did a 36 tooth cassette appear in the world of bikes as i wasn't aware that they existed and as for an 11 speed cassette i thought the gear ratio would of been to high so i take it theirs a few different choices of 11 speed gear ratio's to choose from then ..

Re:

Get in the now Muddy! :roll: ;)

I currently have a 36 tooth 10sp 3x set up and am changing to 1x with 42 tooth! 36 is almost retro!!! All work fine.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":20oz24ot said:

I currently have a 36 tooth 10sp 3x set up and am changing to 1x with 42 tooth! 36 is almost retro!!! All work fine.

I'm not sure i should of asked that question now brocklanders as now i am feeling a little retro myself :facepalm: , oh hang on i am on a retro bike forum doh! so that makes it " perfect " :LOL: ..

42 toothed cassette is huge when you consider the size of the average size big chain ring so i'm going to do some swatting up ;) ..

Re:

Just for a bit of info you can get 9spd cassettes in 34-11 and even 36-12. Sunrace do 10 Spd's that go up to 42 i think.

I tried 1x9 but found it too limiting high and low so have now gone back to good old 3x9 which is dirt cheap...

kyle

Lack of chain suck & simplicity certainly tempts me towards 1x10 (or whatever) but the price & silly huge cassettes put me off somewhat, so I've stuck with 2x9 with a bash ring as I prefer to twiddle rather than mash up hills, only once on a long downhill fire road with mates did i regret the lack of big ring & I've stuck with 32t middle ring to avoid having a big jump between middle & granny. Mind you I still have a triple on my road bike so what do I know?

kyle888":1yyb9vcg said:
Just for a bit of info you can get 9spd cassettes in 34-11 and even 36-12. Sunrace do 10 Spd's that go up to 42 i think.

I tried 1x9 but found it too limiting high and low so have now gone back to good old 3x9 which is dirt cheap...

kyle

Thanks for the info as that's given me a fair bit to mull over when i do my junker ..

brocklanders023":7az2259g said:

Well i've just stumbled across this link ,
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SRAM-Eagle-XG-1 ... wod7l8Fow#

So i think i've found the perfect solution regarding gear choices and your 42 toothed cassette is looking alot less modern than you thought it was :LOL: ..

Back