Wiggins kids bikes vs Frog vs Islabike

secret_squirrel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hey all,

Has anyone tried out the new Wiggins range of Kids bikes in Halfrauds? Weight 8.8kg for 20" version looks competitive with Frog 52 if not quite Islabike levels. Paint job is un-inspiring - especially for kids, but price is pretty competitive at £250 reduced to £200 currently. Brother can get discount there so quite tempted....

Older nipper has a Frog 52 which Im very impressed with.

Frames seem quite big compared to Frogs etc with the 20" recommended for 7-9 - eldest nipper is 6 and already close to outgrowing the 52. Youngest nipper is 5 and a bit of a short arse.

In the middle of dilemma as to whether get a new/used Frog 56 for the big one and hand down the 52 or get littlelun something of her own.

Re:

funnily enough I was trying to find some reviews of the Wiggins bikes only yesterday as watched the track qualifiers, not found much, was most interested in quality of components as so often even expensive bikes let down by poor bits imho, guess they are never expected to wear out just the bike be outgrown.

my 8yr old has a 20" Islabike which we got second hand and it's excellent. No experience of Frogs.

Re:

Don't rule out the Raleigh performance range, Raleigh seem to be secretly making a range of very good quality kids bikes separate from their normal stuff and not really advertising it properly.

My lad has the Performance 16 and its a really nicely made little bike, comes with proper cranks and headset etc.. the brakes are good and the wheels seem good quality. Even the paint job is really nice, like a metal flake yellow that pops in the sun.

They are about as light as the Isla/frog equivalents so well worth a look. The only problem is finding them, most of the raleigh dealers dont stock them (some dont even know of their existence) so trying is difficult but I took a punt online and glad I did.

One of my mates has just got his little girl one after seeing mine and he/she are over the moon with it too.

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/?pc=1&pt=9&pr=39

20" one is 7.9Kg
http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/Pr ... 9&pg=13624

We have just sold the last of the 5 Islas we have owned over the past 10 years now the kids are onto full size bikes (small Konas). They have never needed anything more than brake blocks and chains - and they had daily use for the school run. We got most of our money back - one we even ran for a year and sold at a profit.

Re: Re:

Sketchyxup said:
Don't rule out the Raleigh performance range, Raleigh seem to be secretly making a range of very good quality kids bikes separate from their normal stuff and not really advertising it properly.

My lad has the Performance 16 and its a really nicely made little bike, comes with proper cranks and headset etc.. the brakes are good and the wheels seem good quality. Even the paint job is really nice, like a metal flake yellow that pops in the sun.

They are about as light as the Isla/frog equivalents so well worth a look. The only problem is finding them, most of the raleigh dealers dont stock them (some dont even know of their existence) so trying is difficult but I took a punt online and glad I did.

One of my mates has just got his little girl one after seeing mine and he/she are over the moon with it too.

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/?pc=1&pt=9&pr=39

20" one is 7.9Kg
http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/Pr ... 9&pg=13624[raleigh

Good lord. Typical raleigh hide all the good stuff away where no body can buy it. No wonder they keep going bust.

Re:

secret_squirrel":z4075h5a said:
Good lord. Typical raleigh hide all the good stuff away where no body can buy it. No wonder they keep going bust.

Its certainly a unique marketing strategy, make some really nice stuff and tell no one. Push all the boat anchors onto dealers and make everyone think you only sell disposable Christmas grade bikes.
:facepalm:

That little raleigh i've got is easily a match for the Frog bikes i was looking at in the shop the other day. The welding around the fork crown on the frog was really low grade, made me think they are built on the cheap.

Back