The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
This is a bit of a self-indulgent thread so feel free to look at the pics or read as you wish. I don't keep a diary and just wanted to record my thoughts on my recent tour.

I toured solo, carrying everything I needed for each day. And lots of things I didn't. Generally breakfast was that well-known strong coffee and Eccles Cake combo. Lunch, if I happened to be near somewhere around that time I would grab something. Towards the end of the day i would select me evening meal depending on those comestibles available to me with a few miles of my destination so as not to have to carry them too far or risk poisoning via warm meat-based produce.

After last year's shorter version i changed a few items in favour of lighter or more appropriate personal kit. Lighter tent, sleeping bag and mat. Minimalist US military canopener etc. The bike and pannier setup stayed the same. The plan was to ride between set points with a rough idea of route but with nothing fixed. I had sustrans maps (which turned out to be vague at best) and an OS touring map. I'd contacted all the places I hoped to stay and they were all casual about arrival so all good.

Day One - History Towers Winchcombe to Hoarwithy

The first section was pretty much all known as far as the other side of Tewkesbury so nothing to report. Once I got past there thing started to open up a little. The first day was fairly flat as planned in order to 'break me in'. I'd last visited Hoarwithy some 25 years ago and remembered the Italianate church. This time, I got to explore. A gem. Somewhat over embellished for my tastes but definitely a statement of wealth. Camp site was very quiet with the sound of the river gently sending me to sleep. Nice stress free day.

Morning of day 1

Tresseck camp Site Hoarwithy.

My view of St Catherine's

Exploring

Day 2 - Hoarwithy to Crickhowell

I kniew this was going to be a challenge. I had hoped to reach Talybont but had options. Good job I did. Leaving Hoarwithy I was met by my first decent climb on the fully loaded bike. Luckily I found photo opportunities to break the monotony of staring at the front wheel in virtual standstill gearing.

Lanwarne Church can date it's origins to the Saxon period but was abandoned in 1864 due to constant flooding. It had a very resigned atmosphere, seeming to accept it's partial ruin. I sat in the roofless nave on a thoughtfully placed bench contemplating the time and expense that went into the construction of such a building, only for it to be replaced with a Victorian neo-gothic version nearby.

Lots of ups and downs. A few of piste tracks and muddy trails along valley bottoms took up my time and energy leading me to settle for Crickhowell for the night. It turned out to be a wise choice as poor weather followed.

I though I was doing ok...........

Darker than it looks under here. And wetter

Norman Castle Crickhowell

Day 3 - Crickhowell to Talybont Reservoir.

After the 2k+ of climbing the day before I opted for the canal route to Talybont before climbing to the reservoir youth hostel to camp. The Monmouthshire and Brecon canal is well worth a vist and is flat. Lovely. Some of the toepath was well used by dog walkers and ramblers around the centres of population but most was deserted and in places overgrown. At times i was riding between overhanging cow parsley, at others I was constantly thrashed by nettles and brambles as I passed. All to the good though. It was flat. The low bridges presented a challenge, with a shimmy and a prayer, chin above bars hoping not to meet anybody. And it was flat.

The reservoir didn't disappoint. I pitched my tent, dropped off my panniers and went up the forest (Taff) trail.

Half way up

Last pic was taken from the scar in middle of this pic. Highest point just before a wonderful tarmac descent along the other side of the reservoir.

Aber riggly tin Chapel Disused?

Re:

Day 4 - Talybont Reservoir to Clifford (via Hay on Wye)

A nice roll down to Talybont before a short climb at which point my chain tried to rip off my rear mech. It had parted just enough to clip itself around it with the immense force of my awesome pedal stroke. I found a suitable place to effect a repair: outside an apparently abandoned garage/workshop. I squatted on my stool among numerous rotting and rusted minibuses and swapped out the offending link, fitting a power link I'd bought for just such an occurrence. I also had a full chain with another power link and matching short length, and half my home tool kit with me. No wonder the hills were still hard.

As i worked I noticed the sound of a voice coming from inside the dilapidated building. I quickly realized it was a radio and assuming somebody would be listening to it, and being covered in chain oil, walked around to the rear of the workshop. Here I saw more ancient rusting vehicles. One of which contained a man of about my age, dressed in overalls, reading the newspaper. He oped the van door and i explained my predicament, asking if there was anywhere I would be able to clean up.

In his broad Welsh accent he replied " That would mean i'd have to open up then."
He got out of his van and walked across to an ageing and incomplete VW transporter, jumped in, started the engine, reversed six feet and revealed the back door to the workshop.
" I once got burgled a few years ago you know."
It was only then that I noticed the deep VW tracks in the overgrown yard that extended no further than his short journey. That's one hell of a deadlock I thought. Containing my mirth and offering many thanks I was shown inside to an inner room, Swarfega and a bucket. The rest of the small office was piled shoulder high in parts, cardboard boxes and various other workshops related and long since discarded items. A semi clear path led to the bucket on onward to the workshop proper. I cleaned my hands, dried them on an old newspaper and with many thanks set upon my way.

It was raining. Hard.

I put on my new day-glow altura boil-in-the-bag waterproof jacket and once my eyes had adjusted to the glare, set off again. At Talgarth I took shelter in the information centre until i noticed a cafe across the square. There i spent an hour being mothered by Belinda my genial hostess and her regulars.

The eventual run down to Hay on Wye was accompanied by sunshine, a steady slope of some three or four miles, beautiful countryside and empty lanes. Sublime.

Hard to tear myself away

I bought my evening meal. A 15oz rump steak, Chantelle mushrooms, new potatoes, sweetcorn, red onion and a bulb of garlic. All that was missing was a full-bodied red. As I purchased my vegetables from the grocer I felt a tap on my shoulder. "They'll be no good with pout this a voice said. The good samaritan smiled and proffered my steak, left on the butcher's counter a few doors down. Again I gave thanks and packed my panniers with my meal.

Up from Hay to Clifford. Another elevated site with stunning views and little else. Wonderful.

It was still twitching.....

Shortly after dinner two man of a certain age arrived on site. One immediately made for my bike while the other put up their tent. We struck up a conversation about his 1950 Claud Butler, My Armstrong etc. Eventually I asked where he was from. Three miles from my front door. I regularly ride past his house in the next village. You couldn't make it up.

Day 5- Clifford to Pipe Aston, Ludlow

I was spoilt by the run down to the river valley only to have to climb straight up the other side of it. The severed cow weighed heavily about my person.

From Clifford

It seemed I spent the next couple of hours climbing though villages and hamlets, having plenty of time to admire them at my snail's pace. Fearing more hills I diverted to Kington, found a homely cafe, ordered lunch and consulted my map.

Setting off with good speed I noticed something slightly different and unnerving about my progress. I couldn't properly put my finger on it until the first descent. My eyes streamed, my vision blurred, my glasses remained on the cafe table! As I sheepishly propped up my bike outside the cafe the proprietress ran from the building waving my glasses. "We hoped you'd come back" she said, "an down the road but couldn't see you." Once again I gave thanks, put on my glasses and set off.

I tried not to make eye contact with some of the villagers. Once my glasses were returned to the proper place thing seemed a lot less threatening......

At Wigmore I managed to stop and buy dinner without incident. only a few miles remained. All of them up!

Duck pond at Elton.

Wigmore to the camp site proved a challenge well met. I seem to have a thing for finishing at altitude. Another near-empty site with friendly hosts. bought eggs for the morning. Taking pity on me, my hostess gave me a loaf of bread from her freezer to have with them in the morning.

Up to Monstay Farm

The sky is falling!

Day 6 - Monstay farm to Ludlow

A lazy finish. As I rolled down the long winding hill through the forest above Ludlow I realized how far I'd come and how much I'd enjoyed the journey. What struck me most was my restored faith in humanity brought about by the constant kindness of strangers. The warmth of their welcomes and help and fleeting friendships freely given.

As i turned into Ludlow station Mrs HM greeted me with a welcome kiss and a beaming smile. Thanks for the 6 day pass darling. I couldn't have done it or been there without you.
Home comforts awaited. A soft bed, a home-cooked meal, clean clothes and doors and windows

And the bike? Other than the chain, which I had joined poorly some time before, it didn't put a foot wrong. Which is more that can be said for it's rider.

Journey's End. Ludlow

Re:

If there are any questions about equipment, issues, recommendations etc feel free to ask.

Thanks THM

Re: Re:

The History Man":332sb7up said:
If there are any questions about equipment, issues, recommendations etc feel free to ask.

Thanks THM

Sounds like my kind off adventure, my Wife and kids love the sun/beach/heat etc and I love riding through England in the drizzle :cool:

I was planning a similar expedition this year but it will have to wait until 2017, I will tap you for info nearer the time :)

I've spent a fair time in Ludlow usually helping out Dave Pearce with his uplifts and trail building I think its such a lovely place. Thanks for the story and pictures BTW what camping stove were you using as I noticed it had a wind shield

We're going back again next week for a more civilised camp.

Stove is a little Vango folder. £20-25. Works really well.

I stayed at a campsite just outside of Ludlow up towards the forestry offices the chap who owned it also did pony trekking from there for the life of me i can't recall the name

Re:

Hope to see more of this bike down through the years...a brilliant job, THM- I think you get what it's all about more than most. And your country's lovely, by the way...

you really want a smaller tent;
I have proaction one man tent, bought from argos for about £ 20 - don't do them anymore but one listed on ebay if you're interested.

No I don't. I am 6,3" 18 stone and like to move occasionally. The tent was perfect. Easy to pitch, double entrance, well ventilated if required, full height all the way along and moveable. No pole sleeves or slightly different poles to mix up when tired. At 2.8kg bearable on the bike. I used one end as a drying/storage area and the other for cooking. I paid £120 for it after using a Vango tempest last year. It's a £300 tent and it shows. Lots of thoughtful design features that are really appreciated in use.

I do need a thicker mat though as I'm a side sleeper now with sore hips. Looking at thermarest basecamp for next year.

Back