Dynamo Wheel Build Indecision

lazyrabbit

Retro Guru
I've managed to get myself far more rims and hubs than I need, meaning I totally cant decide what to build up. So, I now have brought it to one simple question: which of these combinations will go the fastest at speeds ranging 17-25mph, climbing, a lot of traffic lights, with an SP dynamo hub, for 150/200 miles a week. As I've already got the parts you may well say build all of them but I hate clutter, unless its good to have a backup set. Although I haven't invested in the Shutter Precision or spokes yet. The rims and hubs I have are:

1. 36h XC717's with XT m737 rear. All silver.

2. 32h sun CR18s with LX m560. All black.

3. 217 ceramic 32h front, 217 hard anodized 36h rear, DX/Exage hubs. The ceramic is half worn and is currently on a rear wheel.

Which goes fastest, do I need more than one set at a time?

Any help is appreciated...

Re:

As you are using a dynamo hub and covering 150 - 200 miles per week it sugests to me you are really concerned more with practicality and reliability than light weight, so I have to say 36 spoke with XT rear hub.

I have an Alfine 8 speed and would like an Alfine dynamo up front, not sure the expense is worth it though as batteries cost peanuts in comparison.

Re:

ok then, Ive decided to build the 717/xt/sp pv-8 for the simple reason that it will be so versatile. Though I go fast, I am getting fitter all the time and it just adds that extra challenge, plus the kit is all new. Nothing wrong with having a weenie dynamo set in the future.

Im also a bit of a junkie for bike addons so this will please me no end! Plus its going to make me look like a friggin ufo.

Re:

That is the choice I would have made for the commuter bike. You are allowed more than one bike on here, build a true weight weenie for those occasional long dry days and when you aren't using it just stare at it, lovingly.

Re:

Evans have the Alfine dynamo hub for £79.99 right now, you can double up Tesco club card vouchers at Evans so I could buy it for £11 plus my vouchers!. I will have to look for a rim to match my existing ones and get them ordered.

Back