Help me build an OK 29er!

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK, so I'm definitely getting a 29er this summer, mainly to do long-ish marathon rides (50-100 km). I've had a look around at different brands and for some reason the On One Inbred takes my fancy, but probably only because it has a bit of a retro steel vibe to it. I'd rather build a bike myself out of carefully selected components than just buy a complete bike. Any good ideas?

SLX is nice. See coast road in my sig. Not keen on SRAM/avid. Stick with shimano.

A steel charge is nicer than on one. I looked at both.

Re:

Save a bit of $$$ by going thr 1x9 or 1x10 route (1x11 is less cost effective)

IMO - You don't need suspension. Big volume tires, low pressures, combined with the soft angle of attack of the larger wheels makes the forks somewhat moot. I have a suspension fork on mine and I've lost count of how many times I've road long sections forgetting the lockout was on.

1x9 is the biggest saver - you can have Xt, Xtr, or any higher end sram for a reasonable cost.

1x10 - try the x9

The History Man":1gvxa45m said:
SLX is nice. See coast road in my sig. Not keen on SRAM/avid. Stick with shimano.

Thanks. I was originally thinking to go 1x11 M8000, or to wait for 1x11 M7000 to become available next month. But I really like the look of SLX. Do you fancy selling any of your 29er frames?

Re: Re:

jimi911":31sietf8 said:
Save a bit of $$$ by going thr 1x9 or 1x10 route (1x11 is less cost effective)

IMO - You don't need suspension. Big volume tires, low pressures, combined with the soft angle of attack of the larger wheels makes the forks somewhat moot. I have a suspension fork on mine and I've lost count of how many times I've road long sections forgetting the lockout was on.

1x9 is the biggest saver - you can have Xt, Xtr, or any higher end sram for a reasonable cost.

1x10 - try the x9

Thanks for the suggestions. 1x10 x9 sounds good! I had been thinking of going for 29er rear and 29+ or fat front with rigid, but you don't see many around and I haven't seen much online regarding whether half fat and the like is much slower or not.

ultrazenith":l73nlnbf said:
The History Man":l73nlnbf said:

Thanks. I was originally thinking to go 1x11 M8000, or to wait for 1x11 M7000 to become available next month. But I really like the look of SLX. Do you fancy selling any of your 29er frames?

This one?

Re:

Another modern 29'er thread in the pre-1997 section? Oh dear :shock:

The Inbred is solid, reliable, won't light up your world but gets the job done. For the money it's a decent frame.

SLX is fine .But I've found Deore just as good, but without the frills, and cheaper... (ie. Brake lever reach adjust for example, once I've set it why do I need an "On the fly" adjustment dial??? Allen key adjuster does the job just fine.)

Maybe you could become a mod and move it rather than making a snide remark.

As you were.

Oof! :shock:

Nothing snide about it, all out in the open.

Maybe a mod could move it to the correct part of the forum, as I'm not worthy :LOL:

Back