Advice

lowslowandold

Retro Guru
Good Evening

I have just bookedmy BikePark Wales ticket for August.

I have a 1998 FSR which I have restored and love riding. Its set up nicely for my local trails (Swinley Forest and Peaslake) Not long travel around 4" I think.

But will its be OK on the more down hil stuff at BikePark? Or is there a few things I can do make sure it keeps up and if possible out pace the modern stuff? Or is it time I look at getting something with a bit longer travel? Same era?

Re:

Or is there a few things I can do make sure it keeps up
Well I assume you're going to fit a shorter seatpost as that one can't be dropped. On top of that, short stem (60mm or less) and wide bars (720mm or more) can make a huge difference to how your bike handles. I'd also advise fitting some large volume tough sidewall tyres.
and if possible out pace the modern stuff?
Doubt this is possible, although a good rider on a poor bike will always be better than a poor rider on a good bike.
Or is it time I look at getting something with a bit longer travel?
It's not the travel, it's more the geometry and performance of the forks / shock vs. what is available now that would benefit you at places like BPW. But having said that I'm sure you'll have a blast on the bike you have.

If it were me I would be leaving the the FSR at home and hiring a bike or getting a demo, you can have more fun with modern bikes on modern trails. Save the the Specialized for retro riding.

getin":68r9t1l6 said:
If it were me I would be leaving the the FSR at home and hiring a bike or getting a demo, you can have more fun with modern bikes on modern trails. Save the the Specialized for retro riding.

sod that! get your FSR out, hit the trails and show 'em that you don't need modern to have fun :p

i'm not the most aggressive rider, but my FSR elite shot past god knows how many riders on the Big Dog race last year (although my climbing left a lot to be desired - but thats more to do with my fitness/curry i ate mid race than anything else ;) ).

i'd take the high volume tough tyres advice. CRC currently have Schwalbe Hans damf in their clearance sale (26x2.35) which should leave you enough clearance on the back end plus it has sidewall protection etc.
def sort out seat post - and a shorter stem/wider bars helps loads (was one of the first changes i made to my FSR. also, 1x10 will shift some weight for you (if you're up to the investment). Shimano Zee is brilliant kit and the narrow/wide chain-rings are a gift from the heavens :)

EDIT: just took a closer look at your build - you've got that hench back end (Risse racing or BETD??!), plus what looks like 1xsomething setup. sort out your tyres [although Conti X-Kings are alright]/seat post/bars/stem and give it the thrashing its begging for! :p
one thing i will say - your shock looks like its the wrong way up (for an FSR) - if you struggle to get to the valve, then flip it over and get a gonzo valve adapter on it - as per my FSR - might be on my build thread link below...

Re:

Why don't you just take it to BPW as it is and see how it handles? I don't see the point in spending ££'s and changing the setup just for a trip to a different trail??
If it works well on your usual trails that you ride often then leave it as it is.

I would however sort out the Seatpost :shock: surely you don't ride with it that high??

Why not hire a bike when you're there ?

Re:

Sorry to the two posters above, but getin is right. Hire something modern and long travel for BPW; if you don't, you'll pretty much be limited to the blues, and fairly gently at that (unless you're happy risking your retro ride just to prove a point).

Yes, retro can be ridden faster than retro in the right hands, but BPW isn't that sort of place. I guarantee you'll have more fun on a rented modern ride.

Re:

Surely BPW has trails for all manner of bikes??? How much is rental anyway? Never been myself, so I'm not speaking from any experience....but I'd at least want to try my fsr out there before spending money renting. Taking the FSR then renting if it turns out a bad idea could be another option couldn't it????

Re:

I'm probably being a bit harsh tbh - I suspect you'll be fine on the blues on your FSR. The reds are a lot rougher though; I was on a 6" travel AM bike which felt about right. The blacks are rougher still, with decent sized jumps and drops.

I think the hire bikes need to be booked in advance, but it might be worth calling BPW to see.

Sixtapod into Willy Waver is the default warm-up run. Terry's Belly is also great. You'll have fun either way!

Back