Annoying clicking, but what is it?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
When I ride the MacMahone, I hear an annoying clicking that seems to be coming from the bb/crank area. It even seems to click about when free-wheeling (or that could be in my head).

I don't think it is the saddle, as I can be out of the saddle when it clicks. Pedals seen fine too, so what else can I investigate? Could the bb not be tight enough and the spacers are clicking against each other? I'm scratching my head at this stage.

The crank is a race face deus xc, the bb a new xt external one.

I believe it is all fitted as it should be. The crank bolt will not go any tighter.

Despite being a modern frame it's got a 68mm shell. The bb has been fitted with 2 spacers on the non-drive side and one on the drive side. There is plenty of crank arm/frame clearance.

It could well be the spacers fitted on the BB or even the BB fiiting that fit into the frame if their not seated properly due to excess paint on the frame or a burr of plastic on the seating surface of the fittings but tbh this is one of those situations where you need a stethoscope to listen with or a piece of long narrow tube and some one to pedal or failing all that it's the handlebars or stem but the sound seems to travel and yes it is weird but i've had that scenario in the past and it was really frustrating ..

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1gexawxu said:
Mavic rims ? 717's?
That sort of thing ?
Very different thing to the mavic rim clunk, it's not particularly consistent, plus it's got Ritchie wcs rims.

It could be anything then, cleats, chainrings not quite right (check as top/middle would/wouldn't to granny), pickup tabs (though that usual only happens in the lower cogs at the back.

Undo the bottom bracket a bit and see if it alters. (both sides)

Pedals seem fine...sounds pretty vague.

You tried other pedals? Tried another rear wheel?

If so and to no avail, cranks off and bb out, face and chase the bb shell and reassemble with all mating faces greased (including spacers). Chainrings off the cranks, give the mating surfaces a good scrub with something like a scotchbrite pad, grease and reassemble. Ensure pedal threads and anywhere the pedal and cranks come together (crank face around the hole) is cleaned and greased.

Thanks all. A task for Monday. When I built it up I used copper grease on all the threads, so it should be OK in that dept. Pedals came from another bike that didn't suffer the clicking which us why I ruled them out. My suspicion is the bb spacers. The bb is new as well but I've not used an outboard bb with 3 spacers before. I'll report back after I've double checked everything and regreased.

Ahh, the annoying click :cool:

Sounds like its coming from the bb when in fact its likely to be the saddle rails :LOL: or headset,stem,bars, seatclamp or even the drive side crank touching the front mech cage on the way past :?
Strip entire bike,regrease everything.

Then discover its your keys :LOL:

Back