Will running and 8 speed chain knacker my 10 speed chainring

tIB

Senior Retro Guru
I understand they are not made for each other, bit initially I was planning to fit my new build as an 8 speed to test out how I get on with gripshift- I bought a cheap 8 speed set and esp rear mech.

Thing is I've just had an accident with a flashy carbon FSA chainset which is 10 speed- I don't really want to damage it but if there is no noticeable rubbing can I get away with it?

It won't knacker it, just might get a bit more chain rub on some combinations (chain rings are closer together on 10, and the chain is wider on :cool: also, the front indexing might be a bit off (if you have indexed shifters)

Other than that, it'll work fine.

Might be better to run a 9 speed chain if you have one, that'll split the difference so to speak and might give you less annoyances.

Thanks for the help- I may have a 9 speed chain thinking about it. If not given I'll end up 2x10 anyway I might try out a ten speed chain on the 8 cassette first.

I *think* the internal width is the same 8/9/10. So it might work.

Shifting might not be ideal as the pins/plates outer width will be too narrow to catch on shift ramps etc.

Of no use whatsoever - I'm running a 9spd chain on the 6spd cassefreehubody thing that Shimano had in 1986. Its part cassette, part freehub with Uniglide.

Shifting is fine.

If you are worried about chain rub, add copper washers as spacers between the rings to allow for the extra width of the chain.

Spacers are a great idea, thanks.

After all this my lovely carbon crankset might have to go back- I think I've order the wrong bb... amateur!

Stop being a scrimper and buy the correct components, you know it makes sense or you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Back