velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
so, has anyone else done this...?!

i love my singlespeed, but find it such a compromise on an all-round bike

either too high-geared so no use off-road, or too low geared and legs spinning....

two single speed bikes is an extravagance, so i got my thinking cap on and came up with this!

it's probably nothing new, but i felt like i'd re-invented the wheel once i'd finished! :LOL:

the rear mech works as a tensioner, and with a quick turn of a limit screw, i can switch between 38-16 for bombing around on, or 32-18 for some off-road fun! :cool:

chain line isn't quite perfect, but the limit screw on the mech runs out of scope, would really need to push the BB out a few mm if i was being super-fussy, but it works a treat!

Attachments

• ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 693
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 693
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 693
  • ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 693
If you want to spend some time working out magic ratios and making a sliding tensioner you can use the same length chain on two singlespeed ratios. Similar to what you have now. But no messing with screws. Just derails from one ratio to the other by hand.

Something like a dinglespeed.

Re: Re:

jimo746":2062m80g said:
That Sir, is not Singlespeed :|

Time to pass round the singlespeeders Black Spot! :LOL:

Looks a very neat solution - a road mech looks nice with its shorter cage.

But beware, it's a slippery slope before you add a third cog...and then a fourth... :facepalm:

hamster":1h8vv043 said:
But beware, it's a slippery slope before you add a third cog...and then a fourth... :facepalm:
And before you know it, the bike becomes useable!!! ;) ;)

mattr":34jfr8vp said:
And before you know it, the bike becomes useable!!! ;) ;)

Depends on where you live. I probably do most miles on my singlespeed; however if I lived in Sheffield or Bristol I doubt it would be the case.

You could repeat what you've done with the cogs a few times and maybe even run some sort of metal wire to the handlebar where you could have a remote lever to swap between the cogs.

Oh wait...

Back