Commencal meta 55 (2008/9) any good?

mtbdave

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I have seen a 08/9 meta 55 for sale near my home.

Now I usually post things on the other part of the retrobike section with the older bikes (my current bikes are range from 1990 to 93, and 1 of the is full sus)

So what I want to know is are these (meta 55) a good bike?
It looks factory spec.

What could the pitfalls be?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Re: Commencal meta 55 (2006/7) any good?

2006 was the first year for the 5.5, might have been subject to some bedding in issues. Still see a good few of them about on the downhill trails round here, though. I've only ridden one of them once but it was a blast. Stable, laid back, soaks up the bumps.

As for any "ageing" full susser, watch the linkage pivots, head bearings and watch out for cracking in the swingarm and around the shock mount / seat tube, seat tube / top tube and headstock welds.

I have worked for a distributer. The early meta's have some issues. I have seen many returned with broken rear frames, cracked fronts or bend shock mounts. Even with lighter riders.

This is a size large (am 6/6-1") the seller is 6ft so around the same height.

The bike looks ok the listing is here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/191845734899

What you guys think?

**Edit, sorry it's a 08/09 I just checked the message from the seller again!! ***

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Am only asking because I know they get a good write up etc, but I have never ridden a newer full sus bike, are the pivots/bearings easy to change or service.

And serviceing disk breaks puts the fear of God in me

Changing bearings is not difficult, I would check if they are still available, some of the commencal gear hangers are very hard to find nowadays so this is something you might want to check.

Modern disc brakes are a treat. If they are OK now they will not need a lot of service. Clean them and lube (with brake fluid) regularly and if needed replace pads. That's about it.

From a bit of internet checking (although beware of massive over-exaggeration on internet forums) you do want to check the welds around the shock mount very carefully, especially on a large model. Get close-up shots of the whole area or get up close and personal on the bike itself.

2009 Meta 5 was the problem child and I think breakages were disproportionately effecting the L & XL sized frames too. The upper shock mount was attached to the top tube on the S & M sizes and they didn't seem to suffer the same.
I broke a 2009 Large. Crack propogated rearwards accross the seat tube from the weld where the top tube begins.

As for brakes, I concur. There's nothing to be afraid of, although I would steer clear of Avid's Elixir range, which are hard to bleed right (pretty much the only ones that arrive at the top of my lift non-functional, on squeezing the front brake, if the lever hits the bars it's an Elixir).

This is no exageration I'm afraid.we saw loads come back with broken/cracked frames. I wasn't too sure on the year, but if you want a frame to last I would stay away from those problem years. Aluminum doesn't get any better with age.

Back