Rim and Tyre Compatability

RobMac

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I've got a pair of wheels built with Mavic EX721 rims and the sticker says that they'll take a tyre from 2.10 to 3.00 can anyone confirm that? Or any input from you's who have ridden these rims (tyre sizing) would be much appreciated.
These are the older rim brake version.

Re:

Have run 1.5" Specialized nimbus on mine,no issues at all.Nothing wider than 2.1" though so couldn't comment on bigger.

Re:

Rob, I've not had that rim and tyre combo but don't think it's a problem with the rim as such. Tyres themselves are designed for certain limits of rim width, stretch a tyre over too wide a rim and it will lose all it's compliance, too narrow and it will be unstable. Check with the tyre manufacturers to find out the rim widths they are designed for, to see if your rim falls within that limit. Think the rim manufacturers are just suggesting tyre sizes to use on rims.
The only thing I can think of concerning the rim itself is that, being a rim-brake rim the leverage of a bigger tyre on rim wall might be a factor.
But I think that's a non-starter as bigger tyres tend to be inflated at lower pressures so less leverage on rim wall. MTB tyres aren't usually inflated to high pressures compared to road tyres but even then unless there is rim damage due to brake wear I don't think you'll have a problem.
I have seen 2 rims break, both on my wife's bike, due to rim wall brake wear not tyre size.

Re:

What I should have added was that although their rim brake rims their connected to disc compatible hubs and its disc brake I'll be using.

Back