V brake bosses Marzocchi Bomber Z1 / mounts for Magura HS33s

Joebristol

Dirt Disciple
Hi there, I'm building up a sort of retro bike - but blended with some newer bits too to have some fun on when not using my full susser (which is in no way retro).

Got a small aluminium hardtail frame with no identifying marks on it to work out what make it is. Could just be a generic cheapo alu frame - but it has no disc brake mounts on.

Got some Marzocchi Bomber Z1 bams - I think '98/'99 vintage. They are the orange ones with the cnc fork brace, blue anodised adjusters on the top of the leg, and just one IS mount disc mount on the left leg. However, there aren't any brake bosses on them - at least apart from one that is snapped off in the fork. My plan is to extract this - but what size brake bosses do I need to go in the holes - does anyone know? If you know, where stocks them? I've found a kit on chain reaction with some sleeves and bosses, but I don't think I need these.

Secondly I'm going with some Magura HS33s for braking duties (I had them back in the day and loved them) but one pair I picked up doesn't have the mounts for the calipers - if I want to use them with v brake / canti bosses is it the EVO2 mounts I need?

Thanks in advance for any replies / advice.......

You sure its IS, earky Z1 used non standard mount.

Re. Bosses, seem to recall they were M6 but you can easily check with an M6 bolt.

I'll have a try and see what fits then. The snapped off boss doesn't look like a very big diameter.

I thought the twin brake boss'd orange bomber with the red adjusters on the top were the ones that had a few mm difference in tye disc brakes mounts compared to IS?

Given I'm planning to run maguras I guess it's not a drama either way.

Need to find wheels next - thinking something with rims like a mavic d521 might fit the bill nicely.

Joebristol":3ho9kzhh said:
I thought the twin brake boss'd orange bomber with the red adjusters on the top were the ones that had a few mm difference in tye disc brakes mounts compared to IS?

Yes, that is them, twin non IS disc brake mounts.

Re:

I've got the next bombers on from the twin mount ones. Still the same colour and broad look to them, but I think they have a single is mount (I had another pair of these back in the early 2000's which I ran a hope mono on) on one leg. These have much lower profile blue aluminium adjusters on the top of the legs.

Thanks for the offer of the mag 21 brake bosses - let me check if they'll work or not today. I think I need a threaded section, then a non threaded section that sits inside the leg of the fork, then the actual brake boss though.

Re:

Went to the brake stuff.de site - they specifically list m6 brake bosses for 1997 to 2000 bombers with the cnc arch. Picture looks very similar on their site to the forks I've got. Ran an m6 tap through the non snapped off boss side and it screwed in OK and back out. So ordered those bosses.

Now just need to remove the snapped boss - liberally coated it in penetrative oil and will have a go at drilling and easy outing it on the weekend. Joy.

Just the magura mount to sort out - plus removal of the old square taper bb from the frame I've got.

The only non retro bit is going to be the 1x10 drive train! Will post some pics of the project up on the weekend.

Back