Spokes twanging under braking??

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey folks, I've just finished building a bike and under breaking (front wheel- brake) there's a twanging sound. Could the spokes need tensioning? Any help would be great. Thanks Rob

Check there is no cable dangling into the bike from the brakes.

It's usually a ting ting sound from spokes but you should check the tension with you hands to see if you can see anything.

Bike build and pictures...

My friend and I have tried a few bits, rotor off, different QR lever etc, I will try another wheel in when its stopped raining! The bike is an 2009 Yeti DJ. The spokes seem tight enough but I'm no expert when it comes to wheels!

Who built the wheel? Last uncureable twanging i had, someone had laced the wheel (very) wrong.

Knew there was something wrong immediately, took me half an hour of scratching my head to actually work out what it was.

It's a mavic Crossride wheel, so I'm presuming it's never been changed since first built, I'll take it to my lbs see what he says.

Ah, ok.
Unlikely to be that then.

Might be the seats for the spoke heads creaking and moving around.

Re:

Ah disc, was thinking rim brake.

Check around the spoke holes, as if like 517 style rims they can crack and pull through.

But no idea on sounds from discs myself, other than the ting ting ting ting... screech everyone seems to have on them ;-)

Farnk's front disc make the spoke noise when it heats up. maybe it's adjusted too close?

The History Man":1o5bkthg said:
Farnk's front disc make the spoke noise when it heats up. maybe it's adjusted too close?

Say again buddy? I've just swapped wheels and it doesn't do it with another wheel in place, looks like the Crossride is to blame?

Re:

Had this problem a couple of times before on wheels that had a lot of miles on.I found the spokes had worn a groove where they crossed over each other.While riding they would flex slightly and ping out of the grooves.Don't know if this is the case with yours,easy to check by gently pushing the spokes apart and seeing if they've mated together.

Back