How far is your commute?

hopper22

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Now the weather is getting better I'm considering riding in to work 3 days a week, it's quite a decent jaunt, 18miles, I wondered if anyone rides this distance to work and what there experiences are of that kind of distance before work, I know everyone's fitness is different and that will be a big factor on the ride, also if I do decide to take it on I'll buy a road bike to do it on as i feel it will be much quicker than a mtb and it's an excuse to buy a new bike.

Any advice appreciated,

Re:

Hi there,

At this time of year, I'll take the direct route, using the A27. This is 10 miles.
When the clocks change, I'll be back on the coast road, A259, adding a whole mile to the commute!

After work, as long as I want to make it. The South Downs are on our doorstep, after all! :cool:

Definitely faster on a road bike too!

A fellow Worthing resident , by the way ;)

Mike

I commute six miles either way when my shift/ weather combines to make it a pleasure. Use a light weight retro hardtail.

I'd say try it and see how it goes. Do you have a shower and place to keep clean clothes at work?

PS have a very nice carbon Ribble road bike in good condition for sale if interested ;)

12 miles each way, every day unless I have to go for a drink after work. It's through London though so very stop/start and not really hard work.

Re:

Thanks for the replys , there is a shower and storage at work so that's all good.

Mike where do you ride to, I'd be going to Chichester, I would try to avoid the a27, going though littlehamton, ford and tangmere.

My full commute is about 22 miles over two sets of hills. Off road.
So I drive half way :)
I only do it when the clocks change, and then only 1-2 times per week. I would do it more but need to get home at a decent time to help with the kids.
It is great though - really enjoy it in the morning when the sun is out and no one is around. On the way home it's a brilliant de-stress.
I do it on an 89 kili flyer comp. which by modern standards is almost a cyclocross bike :cool:

Re:

9.5 miles. Modern road bike.

18 miles is a decent trip twice a day

Agree about leaving clothes at work

Also it you are a desk jockey get a spare laptop at home so you don't have to lug a Lappo too and from if you work in the evenings/weekends.

Kona Explosif 99 on slicks 26x1.0 with mudguards..if weather is dry will take another one from the stable :cool:

Uniform and kit at work..great drying room.. and most of all very secure parking for "my girl"..{very important} :D

Day shift start at 0430..7 mile commute at work at about 0500
going home quicker about 25 mins

Night shift start at 1630..traffic is busier say just after 1700
going home again quicker 25 mins

Every shift even overtime..all weathers...and I mean all weathers :roll:

Ernie ;)

Re:

Not thought about driving part of the way, I could shorten the ride to 12miles by driving to my sisters, good be a good idea to break me in, then go the full distance when I'm more used to it.

Back