Vitus 992 Straightening Rear Dropouts

John J

Retro Guru
I have a 992 Ovoid here that I bought for parts and for a spare headset. I'm tempted to use it on the Turbo though if I can get the rear dropouts straightened. Has anybody done this on a bonded frame?

20160312_142321.jpg

Is it the dropouts, stays, or bond between them that is bent? whichever it is I don't think it will end well if you try and straighten it, but if it's only for trainer use surely you could just squeeze a wheel in there and pedal away? no need to actually straighten the thing, as long as the pedals and wheel turn freely, on a trainer it's not really a problem if the wheel isn't aligned or tracking in a straight line.

Mmmm.
It's strange this one is. I think the driveside dropout is pretty straight as are the stays which I've measured very carefully. The bonding at the junction of the stays seems very sound.
It appears to be the non drive side drop out that is bent. The issue with squeezing a wheel in is that the distance between the dropouts is currently 110mm, compared to 130 as built.
The thing I'm struggling to understand is how the non drive side dropout could have got so badly deformed without the stays becoming misaligned?

Back