A Modern Question! SRAM Chainset

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Does anyone know if you can fit a 10 speed chainset on an 11 speed set up? My girlfriend has an SRAM 11 speed chainset (52/36t) on her Cannondale Super Six and she could really do with a 50/32. I know nothing about modern chainsets, even how to remove them!! :oops:

Thanks in advance.

The chainring tooth dimensions are the same so you should be fine. The 11 speed chain is fractionally (0.3mm ish) narrower (outside width NOT inside) but will not cause an issue.

You could just change the rings on the existing chainset. They'll most likely be 5 arm 110BCD. So you can get something like a pair of TA rings in 50/34 and just bolt them on. Adjust the front mech and a couple of links out of the chain.

And FWIW most modern chainsets are 110, so you'll not get a 32 on there, 34 is the smallest available. (I've heard of 33T, but never seen/had hold of one)

If you want to swap the chainset you'll have to make sure you match bottom bracket standards, or get a new bottom bracket to match the new chainset. (And you'll have to make sure that the new bottom bracket will fit the frame too.........)

I'd just buy a couple of rings.....

It will be bb30 so its easy to swap if you want to, its just a 10mm allen key which has a self extracting bolt to pull the arm off as you undo it.

Back