Marin experts - what is this?

dyson

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Recently I have been bitten by the Marin full suspension bug after a couple of threads on here.

So tentatively looking out for one of the FRS frames from 1999/2000.

In my internet browsing I found this - A Marin xc FRS. But I can find nothing else about it. Is it just a mount vision under a different guise? What year is it too?
25498116235_c9e3d236a3.jpg

Also at 6'3 will a 19" work for me. I like a 24" effective top tube and 90-100mm stem.

Thanks guys for any help.

Up until about 2000/ 2001 ish, the front triangle was the same throughout the range with variations on the swingarm and shock placements - its very hard to tell exactly what is what, only the cro-mo swing arm is the 'lowest' version as just about everything is interchangeable.

All I can add is just check that the bushes are ok and that the shock doesnt leak. Replacing the original shocks with an air sprung jobbie makes all the difference and turns them into very lightweight XC bikes.

*the 19'' may actually be a bit too small.

Re:

Midern 19inchers have 24 in tip tube,modern bei.g 2009 ish.

Eralier circa 2000 woukd be shorter, unless gary fisher.

Find the frame geo and see.

Note im 6 ft 1 and 19 in which i ride are very cloise to the limit goung by min insertion mark on posts.

I have a 2001 Shoreline Trail that is a 17" frame with a 100mm stem, I am 6ft tall and it fits me well. Centre of crank to top of saddle is 28.5". Nose of saddle to centre of handlebars is 22" and I use 26" wide riser bars. Seat post is a setback type.

My frame differs from other models in that it needs a 184mm shock, being a later frame it also uses a 27mm seatpost and has disk tabs on the swingarm.

Re:

Thanks everyone. Sounds like they do come up short, a layback post and longer stem may help but sounds like an xl for me.

Any thoughts on the frame above?

Re:

As far as I am aware they are all 6061 T6, only varying in swing arm style and length. There are also some geometry variations, e.g. B17. Around year 2000 the tubing dimensions changed from the 30mm seat tube internal/34.9mm external with later models having a 27mm internal/ 31.8mm external seat tube.

The frame you have posted appears to be a pre 2000, suggested by swing arm design and 30mm seat post size. I thing the post 2000 models also had a made in Taiwan sticker under the head tube badge, although this can be removed.

I can't find it as a specific year model but would suggest it was a mid year run out model using the 1999/2000 frame stock. I think the Mount Vision Pro came in a Matt Grey about this time so it was possibly lower spec components on that frame set.

Re:

Thank you everyone very helpful info. To confirm the 19" from 1997 had a 23" to tube. Other non fs models in 20.5" size had a 23.5." tt so presume the full suss bikes were the same.

Seems there was lots of variations in swing arm designs but think I have got my head round all the variants etc.

Rob Mac you seem to have a pretty comprehensive bike collection! How's the Kilauea? The finish on the frame posted looks super stealthy, like it a lot.

Back