Lock on grips with bar ends

T'boo Ted

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey all, does anyone use, or know about using lock ons with bar ends?
I've got a couple of sets and I really like how you can ust slide them on and off so easily over the struggles with regualr ones, since i'm trying some various setup changes.

But the ones I have, 1 set maybe could be used with bar ends, (syncros) but would require cutting the end out of the grip (but I don't actually like the grips, these are the ones I wouldn't mind replacing). But another set (eragon) that I really like are made so they won't actually go past the end of the bar.

And I want to still be able to use my Onza bar ends. But these 2 are my only experience with lock ons, so I don't know if other ones are different

Yeah I realise that, but do they lock on in such a way that it is just to the bar, or do they do up in a way that uses the end of the bar, eg my eragon don't go on past the end of the bar, but that whole grip is integrated together. Others seem to be attached to the grip when you install them, but does that mean they will just slid onto any part of the bar, or just to the end and then wont go ny farther?

Re:

I have the Eragon GP1 grips on my bike, and they slid on past the end of the bar just fine, to accommodate my clamp-on bar-ends nicely. If you are using the GP2 or GP3, that might be a different story tho (not sure).

T'boo Ted":vikm9efg said:
IGA1's are the ones I have.

Hmm ... I'm assuming that you hit the "A" button by accident, rather than the "S" button ... as if it's the GS1 set, then those too will slide up ast the end to accommodate a clamp-on fixture (the Eragon website doesn't show any 'GA1' model)

I have these on 1 bike, GA1

ergon_ga1_2013_1-620x270.jpg

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/ga1evoblue

I'll admit, they are mounted on my carbon riser bars, so when they seemed to stop and not go past the end of the bar, I wasn't thinking any more than that and I just thought] they didn't go on any farther... will have to go out and see...

Most lock-on grips are symmetrical meaning they slide as far along the bar until the curved part so yes, you can fit bar ends.

Now if you have bar ends that have one end designed to butt against the end of the bar then clearly you cannot fit bar ends.

Re:

my grips would easily move inwards 1/2 inch for bar ends, but style wise are "late 90s" at best whereas the bar ends I have are on the early 90s bikes and I certainly think with mine would look a bit odd, not sure about later bar ends, and may not be an issue.

edit to insert pic
8755089334_4bacaa3b8c_n.jpg

So something like ODI's or Race face will probably be good to go...

Of course the other issue is these Syncros grips have the suspension lockout integrated into them, which is utterly stupid, but I can work around that.

Back