dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
OK i think ive got it :?
Well i hope so.

The 10 speed 2x10 shifters i bought a few weeks ago

And the mech ive just bought. (got a XT 10spd block and kmc 10spd chain)

Its the description that has me confused and Srams site isnt helping, neither is their own compatibility charts. All they show is the parts but make no reference to 1:1 or Exact Act'

I think ive nailed it but i dont know :LOL: Please someone confirm or deny :oops: :LOL:

Attachments

• Sram XO 10spd shifters (Small).JPG
    Sram XO 10spd shifters (Small).JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 601
  • Sram 10 spd rear mech (Small).JPG
    Sram 10 spd rear mech (Small).JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 601
Re:

Nope - not a chance with those two....
Shifters in silver/black - Mech in black/red
Simply not compatible :roll:

As far as I know - you should be fine - 10spd shifter and Mech - both X0 - TICK
I once tried using a 10spd X0 mech with a 9spd X0 shifter - and noy joy at all.

Cheers :D I was 99.9% sure but just the modern multiple non compatible groupsets had me confused.

Actually the colour is a problem :LOL: Im changing from red to purple and muse about the red bits i cant get rid of.

Dont you get the impression though with the rear mech anyway, that the hype on non compatibility is a bit of a put on.
Shimano rear mechs could cover any number of gears, and what was just a simple swing mechanism is now too engineered.

:)

Re: Re:

scottproonly":1w8mriy9 said:
9 and 10speed are definitely not compatible
Kes

Yeah but heres the thing :?

What exactly is a rear derailleur ? An actuating arm, that from the jockey wheels, puts the chain where the shifters denote it.
So it just simply swings back and forth. If i remove the shifter and put a different type of shifter on it, it would still deposit the chain where that shifter wanted it.
Of course the cogs wouldnt line up when the mech is set at the lowest cog, because its a different pull length on the different shifter. But how can the mech :? Its blind in this.

Anyone following me :LOL:

Re:

I know what you mean but its to do with the amount of cable movement at the mech end as well as the shifter end.if you go on a forum such as mtbr there are plenty of threads about this very subject
Kes

Re:

I would guess that the geometry of the parallelogram (lever) will likely vary with different model designs and measurement ratios, resulting in different amounts of final pulley cage side-to-side movement relative to a given length of cable pull.

Re:

Wadsy is pretty darn good when it comes to setting up mechs etc...
But he (we) got no joy from a 9spd shifter and a 10spd mech.
Yes - you'd think the shifter would control travel - abd the mech would just move the required 9spd amount - but no

dyna-ti":vs1yzz37 said:
Anyone following me :LOL:
no. It's all about actuation ratio. As long as they are the same shifter to mech. All is good.

Once they change, you need to be bloody lucky to get a combination that works.

If you are interested there are some big tables in the ctc site i think. Listing ratios for major manufacturers.

Carge":3kuc0vvv said:
Wadsy is pretty darn good when it comes to setting up mechs etc...
But he (we) got no joy from a 9spd shifter and a 10spd mech.
of course not. 9 speed shimano is 1:2, 10 speed is 1:1 (approximately) so it was never going to work properly.

Back