cutting carbon handlebars??????

SEANSTEPHENS

GT Fan
Feedback
View
hi guys, i could use a bit of advice so here goes....

i need to cut down a pair of carbon bars, is there any difference between cutting carbon/ aluminium? i read somewhere that you need specific saw blades.

could anyone expand with a bit more information? thanks in advance

sean

Last pair I cut down for someone I used a steel blade but taped the section being cut to stop splintering had no problems not heard of special blades for carbon fiber

Re:

Use a blade with a fine pitch, 32 tpi if you can find one. tape round the bar with strong tape to prevent splinters. Let the blade do the work & don't push down too much.
An old bar end or brake lever with a straight edge makes a good guide & prevents splintering if nipped up at the cut line.

Re:

Cut bars and carbkn steerers with junior hacksae, these tend to have blafes witb fine teeth.

Only other advice you hear about is not to breathe in the dust, so do it outdoors.

Re:

Thanks for the tips guys, i was thinking of using small hose clamps to stop splintering and to use as a guide also

Sean

also dont cut all the way through the handlebar in one go. when you're 2/3 of the way through rotate the handlebar 180deg & start sawing from the opposite side. this massively reduces the chance of splintering. after cutting use a very fine, p1200 or similiar, emery cloth to sand down any irregularities or saw marks for a nice even finish.

Back