a possible stupid question about stans no tubes

kalex

Retro Guru
I'm all sorted to add my stans no tubes solution to run tubes set up for the first time but somethings been bugging me which may have a simple answer.

Once I've added the solution and pumped the tyres up can i ever reduce the tyre pressures for different terrain. I'm thinking that if I let air out of the valve the solution will block the valve hole as it'll act like a puncture

Re:

You don't fill the tyres! Centrifugal force coats the inner surface of the tyre with sealant - it won't get anywhere near the valve.

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":gwooyqhs said:
You don't fill the tyres! Centrifugal force coats the inner surface of the tyre with sealant - it won't get anywhere near the valve.

Yes I know and understand that.

I've just this thought in my head that if I release some air out it will act like a puncture and seal the valve up. Meaning I can't ever reduce the tyre pressures

Re:

How would the sealant get to the valve? When you're riding, it's kept against the inner tyre face, and if you stop any remaining liquid just pools at the bottom of the wheel. You'll be fine, you can adjust tyre pressures!

Re:

Surely all the surfaces are coated on the inside of the tyre/rim. If I want to reduce the pressure before I set off the positive pressure surely will make the sealant do its job of sealing the valve.

The valves do sometimes get clogged with sealant. But it's usually just a slight dribble when you let the air out. So it takes months of regular adjustments to get to the blocked stage.

At which point you whip the valve core out and give it a clean.

I've actually got a box of spare valve cores so i don't have to muck around when i find a blocked one, just swap and clean at my leisure.

mattr":2wl13oo4 said:
The valves do sometimes get clogged with sealant. But it's usually just a slight dribble when you let the air out. So it takes months of regular adjustments to get to the blocked stage.

At which point you whip the valve core out and give it a clean.

I've actually got a box of spare valve cores so i don't have to muck around when i find a blocked one, just swap and clean at my leisure.

Thanks bud that's the answer I was after.

It is fine. I use Stans fluid in mine and adjust the pressures fairly regularly. I use presta valves and the do get a little sticky sometimes but always free off.

Back