Is steel really real?

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
I have a great opportunity to get an On-One Inbred 26 frame at a STEEL (see what I did there :)) of a price.

Problem is it weighs half as much again as my 1997 Coyote HT3 it will replace. The Coyote is rewarding to ride and very responsive, the only reason i am considering a swap is because the Inbred isn't a great deal more than a powder coat and new graphics for my Coyote.

So is the weight penalty and effort sapping frame flex of 2015 steely a worthwhile upgrade over a Easton framed 1997 stiffy.

I haven't ridden a steel framed bike for over 30 years, so any help appreciated.

Yes. Could all be in the mind. But, I have both in 29 and 26 and road in the last year and prefer the steel. I'm a larger chap and maybe that makes absorption more obvious. Give it a try.

606":3e2n9blj said:
I wouldn't recommend an Inbred as a quality steel frame.

Any particular reason? I was under the impression that the On One frames were well regarded for mass produced items.

EDIT: It won't take much to persuade me to keep my Coyote..

606":1cml989s said:
I wouldn't call the Inbred a high quality frame but for the money it's pretty good.
But then again I'm comparing it with my 853 S/S frame which fits like a glove and
its a brilliant ride. It's the rim brake model BTW.

And in answer to the OP original question "Is steel really real?" Absolutely YES!
Most of my rides are steel but I do have alloy, Ti and carbon. And I've just bought another 853 frame.

Re:

Is the HT3 the one with the square rear end, that must be a bit jarring being alloy as well.
No offence but if you offered me a loan of your Coyote or your Inbred you know which one I'd take :?

davidj":33axd3u6 said:
606":33axd3u6 said:

Any particular reason? I was under the impression that the On One frames were well regarded for mass produced items.

EDIT: It won't take much to persuade me to keep my Coyote..

It is the same old story, you get what you pay for. As has been mentioned, it is a cheap mass produced frame.

Having said this, steel is still an excellent material for a bike frame, and the On One frame will do the job and last for years, but if you are expecting a cheap frame to perform like a £1000 frame then you are likely to be disappointed.

Re:

To clarify RobMac, an 853 is an On One Inbred single Speed? Is that 26 or 29? Do you notice the weight penalty and what type of riding do you do? I am mostly tarmac and cycle tracks so Alloy frames are not so punishing to me.

I can get a new Inbred 26 for £100 with the finish and size of my choice, I have till the end of this month to commit.

Yes my Coyote has the square rear tubes, not bothered me for the last 18 years though ;)

Bultaco370":35gdregd said:
Having said this, steel is still an excellent material for a bike frame, and the On One frame will do the job and last for years, but if you are expecting a cheap frame to perform like a £1000 frame then you are likely to be disappointed.

I dont race, I typically ride solo, I don't need to compete - at all. I just want a bike that makes me want to ride it - my Coyote has done 1600 miles since May this year (My other bikes add to this total). Will a steely motivate me to more miles, will a On One Inbred be that steely?

I have three bikes, I had three bikes in 2000, I do not need four! Tomorrow I am going to cycle to Planet X in Worsborough and check out the Inbred.

Back