99 Sunn Cross Un

Dora

Dirt Disciple
Just bought this on ebay. I know its 99 but there's no arguing the retro credentials. Anyway the forks clearly aren't original so I'm after a suitable set of rigids, or low height sus forks if I can get away with it. I had a 98 Sunn Xircuit previously which felt all wrong with the set of Mazocchi Z2s I had fitted for a while so I really don't know if the geometry of this Crosss will work with sus. Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Attachments

• Sunn Crosss.JPG
    Sunn Crosss.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 994
Re:

Nice bikes these Sunns

I may have a spare pair of Sunn Obsys forks that I could be persuaded to part with.

Mike

Re:

Thanks Mike, I remember trying a Sunn with Obsys forks back in 98 when I bought the Xircuit - I remember they weren't the best but nice and light. Certainly wouldn't mind giving them a try. Maybe you would take the Manitous in exchange?! Only kidding of course, but seriously... :LOL:

The Manitous might have been fitted on purchase as they are 1999 forks. I'm guessing it would have come with rigid forks as standard so the Manitous might have been an option for the buyer. I've got a sneaking suspicion there were different suspension options on these as the Obsys forks were very expensive at the time.

Re:

I would be interested to know if there was any difference in geometry between the rigid and obsys specced frames, my Xircuit felt very wrong with 65mm travel Marzocchi bombers so I put the stock forks back on. obsys look like they have really low ride height so maybe thats the way forward.

Thing with the Sunn Obsys forks is that they're shorter, that is, are equal in height with the orignal steel forks that came with these lovely Sunn bikes.. we're talking an A-C somewhere around 390mm, at least on my Obsys carbon. Don't think the Obsys 40 or 55 were that much higher.. compare that with your Marzocchi and you'll know why it feels a bit wrong like you say - like driving a Harley ;-)

Same geometry on all frames.. all the way from the budget ones to the world cup winners ;-) At least 97-99 for what I know, and exception of course the xhocks and radical :p

Re:

Mark's hunch was right, I just had a look in the 99 Sunn catalogue and sure enough the standard Crosss had a Manitou Spyder option. Doesn't specifically mention them for the Crosss Un but I guess they're original spec for the bike. Who'd av thunk it - they look so wrong to me!

Only Obsys suspension forks on older Sunns ;-) maybe the older manitou and marzocchi will work as well, but need to have shorter A-C, the geometry of the frame's build that way

Maybe I'll have to invest in some Obsys then, I guess original Sunn rigid forks are pretty tricky to get hold of.

Back