Colour me..

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
My Marin is getting very close to powder coating, original plans have changed as I fitted white forks instead of the planned for black. I think I know what colours I will go for but would welcome other opinions, obviously the forks will remain white.

IMG_20151204_125235007_zpsjbpfxz1f.jpg

Re:

Why are you painting, grame amd swingarm look in good condition. Either paint or repkace the form as it looks a bit dull..... or altetnatively just ride it:)

Re:

The frame has a brushed alloy effect paint job that has suffered with feint oxidation trails in it, it is covered in them. Polishing just exposes bare metal as they are under the laquer.

Re:

I removed all the lacquer off of my Mount Vision .. to the bare metal to remove the worm trails a few years ago and gave it one polish.
Not touched it since (apart from wash downs with Zipwax) and it looks prestine :xmas-wink: :xmas-wink:

GO FOR IT

Re: Re:

dazdc5":2zltq1hp said:
I removed all the lacquer off of my Mount Vision .. to the bare metal to remove the worm trails a few years ago and gave it one polish.
Not touched it since (apart from wash downs with Zipwax) and it looks prestine :xmas-wink: :xmas-wink:

GO FOR IT

It is something I have considered, but how did you remove all the laquer?

Re: Re:

davidj":3ij42er2 said:
dazdc5":3ij42er2 said:

GO FOR IT

It is something I have considered, but how did you remove all the laquer?

Hard work lighter fluid/nailpolish remover/Autosol and wire wool!

If you are keeping the white forks then i think the brushed / silver look is great. Swingarm in contrasting colour perhaps, and match the decals to the swingarm (as it is now)? How knackered are the yellow bits?

Re:

Yellow swingarm is faded and has substantial paintloss around quick release.

Forks are brand new so the white is staying. Not sure I want 3 colours.

My thoughts are all white, white frame and flat black swingarm or shadow chrome frame and swingarm. I am leaning towards the last of those.

Re:

Serendipity or what ? I've the same dilemma with the same bike. My Mount Vision is stripped down and the rebuild is stalled because of my indecision. I don't want to polish the frame so it's got to coloured. I was going to go all orange but then I thought that it would look too much like a Whyte or an Orange (both of which I'd love to own.) I then thought of a satin black frame with dark green (think newish Kawasaki) swing arm and forks. But inspired by my restored all white, alloy with yellow decals Muddy Fox Courier I will (probably) go with all white, black stem, bars levers, shifters etc (I already have these) and orange decals. This colour scheme gives a nod in the direction of KTM another motorbike manufacture that I like.

Latest posts

Back