Rawed steel frame, can I ?

worzelrummage

Old School Hero
So, just bought (another) Dialled Prince Albert, paint is really shabby so planned to have it powder coated in next couple of week. However, I really like the look of a rawed frame (to the bare steel).

There seems to be a lot of conflicting views on whether or not this can be done and can kept without becoming a rusted heap. I expecting a slight amount of rust or 'patina' if you will, but does this rust cause any damage to the frame other than cosmetic?

I seen the On One Evo II has a rawed finish option and I really like the look that creates. Is this something that can be achieved.

I've read coating the rawed steel in motor oil is a good rust protector.

Any advice from people who have tried, failed or hopefully succeeding in this process very much welcome.

I understand this isn't very 'retro' but trust the opinion of this forum more than other sources.

Re:

I went down this road with a frame that I made myself.... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=304282&hilit=eaton

You will certainly see surface rust develop under the clear-coat (I went for a clear powdercoat) but it won't do the structure of the frame any harm.
In face, I've been told that the rust would be exactly the same under a 'solid' powdercoat, it's just that you wouldn't be able to see it.
One thing to consider.....finger prints cause rust ;)

Re:

I'm sure that GT-Steve had a frame clear coated with some gold fleck in it, powder coated.

Thinking of going down this route myself on a frame I have.

If you want you keep the welding oxide colours then you'll have to chemically strip it, rather than have it blasted.

Re:

My raw one, seems ok

Although after I linseed oiled it, is a lot darker now :roll:

Good for riding to work in crap weather :LOL:

Attachments

• ratfish3.jpg
    ratfish3.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 444
I've owned raw bmxes, raw/lacquered fixies and a raw/linseed oiled commuter bike.

The bmx was fine coz it didn't get used in the wet. The fixie corroded under the lacquer and eventually looked a bit crap and on the commuter bike the linseed oil got washed off where water sprayed up (bottom of downtube etc) and wore off where clothing rubbed it or I handled it (top tube). Found it hard to get a balance between the frame being sticky from the oil or drying out and corroding anyway. It was bearable but should your bike be just 'bearable' ?

Re: Re:

makster":io16quzd said:
I went down this road with a frame that I made myself.... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=304282&hilit=eaton

You will certainly see surface rust develop under the clear-coat (I went for a clear powdercoat) but it won't do the structure of the frame any harm.
In face, I've been told that the rust would be exactly the same under a 'solid' powdercoat, it's just that you wouldn't be able to see it.
One thing to consider.....finger prints cause rust ;)

That is far too nice looking.

A change of plan with the frame has moved me on from the 'raw' option but is something I'll be revisiting in the future.

Cheers for the responses.

Back