MARIN B17 RST HI 5

lakey800

Retro Newbie
hi

im quite new to this but I have recently purchased a 1998 Marin b17 in good condition fully original
my problem is the front folk are really stiff they only move about 40mm there are RST HI-5 I cant find any thing online about stripping these forks
is there anything to look out for or any guides

Attachments

• IMG_3745.JPG
    IMG_3745.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 899
Re:

Hi nice example there mate

I have the same model, they're pretty simple tbh, the grease inside will have gone hard with age. Loosen the bolt at the bottom of each fork leg and give them a tap, undo the topcaps and remove the springs ( nothing too technical inside there - just two long springs).

Chances are the springs will be gummed up like wax, or they'll have no grease left at all

Compress the fork and remove the lower leg bolts, you should then be able to pull the lowers off, give it all a good clean/ de-grease then re-assemble with a good suspension grease, I use "PM600 military grease" - sounds heavy duty but it's much less 'clarty' (I can't think of the technical term!)

Make sure everythings nipped back up and they should feel much better!

Re:

Hi stripped them tonight there a short spring and about 7 blocks like march mellows joint together everything was greased and look ok we're they stiff back in the day

The marsh mallow (elastomers) were crap back in the day, can't imagine they improve with age

Re:

Elastomers - they've probably gone hard with age, and not a lot you can do as far as I know, you'll maybe find they're better in summer when they're warmer! I think my fork is the Hi 5 Mozo, hence difference.

I have heard of people removing the elastomer stack from one leg completely to make it more supple, but I couldn't say if this is advisable or what could go wrong, others on here will know more.

At least you got in there and had a go!

Re:

There are a bit better thanks for all the help they were Easier to do than I thought most shops want me to remove the forks so they could sent them away thanks

Back