RockShox SID's: which ones fit a 96 Kula?

bantamsuper

Kona Fan
Project started stutter stopped in a steerer length jungle.

Can anyone tell me which RockShox SID's will fit a 96 Kula?

Can anyone tell me which (not rigid please!) forks will fit a 96 Kula?

Presently, before it was in a 1000 pieces, was a pair of 'can't find any spares at all anywhere' clapped out RockShox Judy XC's.

I'd guess the vital info is the head tube length and also the headset and stem stack height. That should give you the minimum steerer length you need in a fork.

What's up with the xcs? What length steerer do they have as that could help.

Thanks for interest. Rockshok Judy XC's (Cartridge System) have 230mm steerers. Kula frame is 20 inch giving head tube length 150mm! Cartridges impossible to source and spares for Judy's generally, so I'm told/finding, are most difficult to get...love to be proven very wrong.

So I thought I'd go for forks, and all other associated front end bits which were put on one of the later caliper braked Kula's simply to ease my search. First time I've been down this avenue of 'stem stack heights' etc. so is slightly daunted.

My head scratching really started when I sourced 2001 RockSox SID's (steerer length 190mm)...Kona Kula's having these fitted in 2000. Early Kula frames are all the same surely? Even a 20 inch one. Not a bike guru, even less a Kula one but by time me thinks I've got one spinning again I prob will be!

The head tube length goes up proportionally with the frame size. Measure your frame. The stack height of a run of the mill headset can vary greatly.

Yeah your thinking the wrong way. For your era of frame your looking for a fork with suspension travel of 63/85mm ideally alhtough many run 100mm suspension travel. Any more and it will look like a chopper/harley davidson and at worse could crack your headtube.

The steerer length is a case of finding one long enought thats not been cut down. The make/version of fork doent matter. Your living in my 20" kona world where steerer length is a proper pain in the back side TBH. there is a memeber on here who does very reasonable new steerers fitted. So you find the fork you want and then send it to it away to have a new uncut full length steerer fitted.

your correct ..15cm headtube on a 20" plus stack height..a chris king for example is 3.2cm if i rem correctly. so then add your stem heigh that you can safely use (normally above the top clamp plus a bit) say its 3.5cm.

means the minium(just fits with no spacers) your looking for with this setup is 217mm steerer. however As thehistroyman says, it depends on stack and stem you want to use plus any spacers

Good luck with your hunting.

Thanks for comments...could do with my shed being next to your shed! I note a few RockSox Judy's for sale around tho all, so far, have shorter steerers than my (Cartridge System!!!) 230mm ones. This got me round to thinking: is it possible is use the inners of these (non Cartridge System) Judy's, so as I can then re-intalll my Judy's with the 230mm steerers????? Oh what a web we weave.

It depends on what is wrong with your Judy forks. If you unscrew the adjuster unit from each leg (not the dial, the whole thing), you should be able to remove the 'spring'. It may be a spring or it may be elastomers. If the latter they are probably way past their best at best, at worst a crumbly mess. Either way, remove them and you can at least test if the damper still has oil and is working by cycling the fork through its travel and pulling up. If there is resistance but they return to full travel, your damper is probably OK and you just need to replace the 'spring'. Proper spring upgrades are easily available, even elastomers are if you want to go down that route. If the damper isn't working, as you say replacements aren't so easy to come by or particularly cheap so new forks may be more economical. You could even venture into more modern forks at this point unless period correct is an issue, but by going for sods I'm guessing not.

Back