Sram 9.0 f/m, bad design!

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Is it me, or does this seem to have passed the 'fit on a bike' test at the Sram factory? :evil:

It's the second time I've had this problem. Going over bottle cage boss, if you weren't sure.
What on Earth are they meant to fit?! :evil: :evil:

Was hoping to avoid the default Shimano f/m. :facepalm:

Mike

WTF , it's either designed to fit just a modern bike Mike or some one was just to drunk to design it properly but tbh i've never felt inspired by Sram as i've always felt they were lacking in quality or somthing and it's situations like this that prove my doubts ..

The History Man":qcmr7xvw said:
How many teeth though?

Deja vu all over again.

Chainring size not an issue. They don't vary by that much between 42-46 tooth.
How many mtbs only have one set of bottle bosses?

Loads of modern bikes only have one set - particularly smaller 16" frames as there's not much space to get a bottle in/out on a 16" frame with sloping top tube. So blame Joe Murray..? ;)

That SRAM 9.0 looks like the old Sachs design tho; like they never changed it from the Sachs days! You might just need a low-mount one tho, surely that would solve the problem - or is there too much tube flaring for that?

Osella":1fsr5k5i said:
Loads of modern bikes only have one set - particularly smaller 16" frames as there's not much space to get a bottle in/out on a 16" frame with sloping top tube. So blame Joe Murray..? ;)

That SRAM 9.0 looks like the old Sachs design tho; like they never changed it from the Sachs days! You might just need a low-mount one tho, surely that would solve the problem - or is there too much tube flaring for that?

Yes it does flare out. I think it may be Prestige tubing but not sure

Mike

It's a SRAM issue. Just been back through a load of my builds and every time bosses fall either side of the higher (in relation to cage) shimano brackets.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 503
What's the measurement from the flare point to where the mech needs to be? Is it a 31.8 tube?
Just asking as I have a NOS low-mount Sachs mech so wondering if it might fit your frame.. I had it fitted onto a Saracen Hardtrax but never finished the build! The Hardtrax is 28.6mm seattube tho..

Re:

So do all of mine mate :roll:

I do have a spare M735 I could use, but it would look odd on a '96 bike I think

Mike

Osella":10lq1ch8 said:
What's the measurement from the flare point to where the mech needs to be? Is it a 31.8 tube?
Just asking as I have a NOS low-mount Sachs mech so wondering if it might fit your frame.. I had it fitted onto a Saracen Hardtrax but never finished the build! The Hardtrax is 28.6mm seattube tho..

This is a Saracen too. With a 28.6 . I'll measure up soon and let you know

Mike

Back