A simple question,but a big no?

lowslowandold

Retro Guru
So bought a dropper post, which i have rebuilt, and working all fine. went to check it would fit and it not the same size, I have a 30.9, and seat post is 31.6 so a total of 0.7mm more, could I hone it out to fit?

Opinons please?

depends on the frame, a chunky aluminium one you might be ok, i doubt anything else would have enough material there to take out.

Even a chunky al frame would be touch and go, depending on your weight

How thick is the seat tube wall?

If it's in the 1.25 region or thicker after honing, and you get a nice deep insertion (phoooar missus) I'd probably chance it.

Also, as another option, could you turn down the OD of the seatpin to give you some margin.

And the weight limit for these things is nearer twice your weight, it'll be in the ISO or EN standard somewhere. Of your want exact numbers.

BTW is the seatpin available in 30.9?
Might be able to buy just the outer and swap the guts over.

Re:

I'm sorry but you're bonkers to be even considering reaming out your frame for a crank bros Joplin seatpost which are notorious for failing.

LOL, I thought that as soon as he posted what dropper it was, but didn't want to point that out.......

FWIW, if CB do a 30.9, there are probably a dozen or more broken ones in boxes within 50km of where you are, just stick a wanted for spares or repair ad up on STW or on here and you'll get a good few responses!

(as long as they actually make a 30.9!)

Latest posts

Back